Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modifying My Pontoon
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome aboard Hope we can help. I think the previous two answers overlooked your REAL question...mounting a PEDESTAL seat. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The balance and center of gravity issue IS the main concern. It is a combination of several factors...overall length and width of the craft, pontoon (air chamber) design, total "floatation", weight of the angler, etc.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]There are some pontoons that incorporate a "standing platform", and they seem to ride stable enough, even in rough water. If your craft is wide enough to be stable, even with your weight elevated a few inches, you got it knocked.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Most of us have lusted after having a little extra "altitude" for seeing into the water better and for more efficient casting. The pedestal seat idea sounds good. The main recommendation I would make is to work out a "quick change" or collapsible mount that allows you to lower or remove the pedestal part for navigating in rough water, etc. Let us know how you make out.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Location of the trolling motor is both a matter of personal preference and of frame design. If your toon comes with a built in motor mount, try to take advantage of that. It will doubtless provide the most propulsion efficiency and balance. However, your frame may be long enough and sturdy enough to allow a workable front mount.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you are a basser, the front mount with easy to reach controls has a lot of appeal. The main downside is that it just about eliminates the use of fins unless you rig for being able to tilt the motor up and out of the way. If you are a fly flinger the front mount motor can really cramp your style and is a "line magnet".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you include some pics of your craft, showing the relative size and the style of the frame, it would be easier to make meaningful suggestions.[/#0000ff]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Modifying My Pontoon - by Huskertko - 10-27-2006, 04:22 PM
Re: [Huskertko] Modifying My Pontoon - by TubeDude - 10-28-2006, 10:17 AM