Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diameter or Color? What's really matters?
I've heard so many anglers refer to the importance of line color versus the color of the water they are fishing. I've also heard many anglers preach of the importance of down sizing the line test in order to get spooky fish to bite. Many times you can't get the cake and eat it too, so you have to choose which approach to take. Of course, flourocarbon leaders are top notch for thier camo'ing affect in the water. But what if that's not an option or just not practical. I've always catored to both color and diameter, and with todays new age of super braids, it's easier than ever to accomplish this feat. But when you're talking light tackle for spooky, over sized game fish, using braid may not be the best choice. Personally, I feel like choosing the minimum line test to achieve the smaller diameter is the best choice. Why? It's simple. Line comes in many different colors now: red, blue, green, yellow, neon colors, clear/white, orange, and just about any other you can imagine. I'ved used most of them and noticed that the color doesn't matter so much as how thick the line is in the water; as to if you can see it or not. I've read that certain fish can see certain colors better than other and blah blah blah. I think it's a bunch of ballacks. Sure it's true, but seriously guys, if it's a different color than the exact color of the water, then the fish can't help but notice it up close. But when the diameter is very small, even up close, a line totally different in coloration than the water can't be seen as well as a thicker line that is suppose to "blend in" with the water. Don't believe me? Put on a set of goggles and hit the water. I think your findings will be surprising. It's pretty interesting to see how a blue or clear line that almost matches the water you're fishing in stands out like a sore thumb. But a thinner line is much harder to spot, and by the time the fish sees the line, they've already commited and it's too late. I know i'm not the only one that has experimented with this concept, and i'm curious to see how the pole pans out. Please respond with you thoughts, i'm curious to hear about your past experiances as well are the other BFT members![cool]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Diameter or Color? What's really matters? - by Tarpon4me - 12-06-2006, 03:11 PM