Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Float tube vs. pontoon boat
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I didn't see it in the past several years posts. I did read the 2004 posts on boat selection, however, would like more specific comments.

I have used a float tube in the remote past, a Caddis II, I think it was. Now, a buddy of mine says to heck with the float tube, what I want is a pontoon boat. I live near the slow moving Snake in southwestern Idaho, which means I am also near a number of small, medium, and large reservoirs.

My instincts tell me to pontoon up first, but also to invest in a float tube for hiking excursions, and smaller ponds, and for when I just don't want to lug the pontoon around. For transport, I have a Honda CRV, without a luggage rack or trailer. I know I can easily get a float tube (partially deflated) in there, but not sure about a pontoon boat.

Would appreciate feedback. Also, in a pontoon, is there anything to be aware of before purchasing (e.g. thickness of material, frame design, etc.). I tend to be a moderate minimalist--that is, I like basic things with just enough extras to make them easy to use and convenient, but not to the point that I am better off just owning a speed boat.

I look forward to the replies. I have a potential fishing trip tentatively planned with one of the local legends on this board, in May or June, so would like to be figuring out what to look for in the post xmas bargains [cool]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Float tube vs. pontoon boat - by bdn06 - 12-22-2006, 05:39 PM