Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Float tube vs. pontoon boat
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Brent...Loco Legend here. Oh, that was local? Well I'm both loco and local.

The goddess of pocket lint has laid out some good stuff fer ya. She is accomplished at both tubin and toonin. She is also a good example of one of my favorite admonitions..."There ain't no laws agin' havin' both a tube and a toon...or more than one of each."

It is usually best to start with one or the other, depending upon the type of fishing you anticipate doing most. For some, that will be packing in to fish remote trout lakes. For others it will be running whitewater. Still others will be fishing for bass or other warmwater species...or even fishing saltwater. Start by getting what suits your style and quarry best.

Coincidentally, I am finishing up writing the chapter on my book dealing with "Choosing a Craft". In that chapter I list the most important factors to weigh during the review and decision-making process. Some of those are personal size and fitness, BUDGET, type of water and conditions expected, species and tackle, various construction features and quality of materials, etc.

Here are the first three paragraphs of that chapter. I will send you the entire chapter to review for me when I complete it in the next few days.

[/#0000ff]
Your ultimate choice of a craft will be a personal thing. Before making the final decision you should solicit input from other tubers and tooners who are knowledgeable and experienced. Although advice from others can be valuable, the final choice needs to be based upon YOUR own wants, needs and abilities. And, a good policy is to try before you buy.
This chapter will at least help identify the factors to consider throughout your evaluation process. Some are obvious. Others less so. For many newbies the budget thing is the major hurdle to becoming properly outfitted. Tubes and toons are less costly than boats, but it can still take a big chunk out of a tight budget to put a decent system together.
Other factors in the review process are mostly related to your personal angling preferences, along with your physical abilities. Equipment and design options are also likely to influence your final decision. So should any limitations you might have for storing or transporting the craft you choose.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Float tube vs. pontoon boat - by bdn06 - 12-22-2006, 05:39 PM
Re: [bdn06] Float tube vs. pontoon boat - by TubeDude - 12-22-2006, 09:18 PM