Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
U.L. White Bass Problem
[cool][#0000ff]After the little "interchange" with W & B, I hope you guys can see through me. Like most folks, I can be selfish. I want everything neat and clean and set up the way I want it. Too late. I'm married.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Seriously, in a perfect world (Utah Lake) we would have plenty of suckers and also plenty of predators (for fishing), all in good balance. But, as we are all too painfully aware, Mr. Buglemouth throws everything out of whack. That is an obstacle that only the most optimistic angler could ever expect to just "go away". [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Therein lies my frustration. I DO NOT object to trying to restore June suckers in Utah Lake, or anywhere else they can survive until Armageddon. I DO object to watching good money being thrown after bad...repeating the same fruitless exercises with the same results...NO MORE SUCKERS. I think there is a saying that "Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results."...or something like that.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Man, I am all about cleaning up Utah Lake and putting things back into balance...for all WORTHWHILE species. We might want to rethink a couple of others, besides the carp.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There is one thing that makes me chuckle though. That is the "urban legend" that Utah Lake was once a pristine alpine lake, surrounded by pine trees and full of 20-40 pound cutts. Balderdash. Utah Lake has always been a shallow desert pond. In the past there were Bonneville cutts, left over from the great evaporation, and there were also native chubs and suckers to feed the cutts. That much is documented, as is the wholesale cleanout of the cutts and many of the big suckers by the early pioneers, for food. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have heard "firsthand" accounts of someone seeing pictures of huge Utah Lake cutts stacked in a wagon. Never happened. There are pictures like that around, but they are of the Lahontan cutts that were found in Pyramid Lake and the Truckee River in Nevada. World record was 40 pounds and they were supposedly pitchforked up to 60 pounds.[/#0000ff]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
U.L. White Bass Problem - by utfishguy31 - 01-02-2007, 11:10 PM
Re: [utfishguy31] U.L. White Bass Problem - by TubeDude - 01-04-2007, 01:26 AM
Re: [TubeDude] U.L. White Bass Problem - by Nica - 01-04-2007, 05:29 AM
Re: [hashbaz] U.L. White Bass Problem - by UTBASS - 01-06-2007, 01:24 PM