Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
U.L. White Bass Problem
The one thing about losing an endangered species, even a seemingly 'worthless' one such as the June Sucker, is that they are considered 'indicator species'. What this means is that there are problems in our environment and ecosystem. The June Sucker may only be the first (or one of the first, Utah Lake has already lost cutthroat trout) species to go down, but others may follow.

If we can improve habitat enough to save the June Suckers, it would mean that the habitat and environment has been improved for all species of wildlife in the lake, plant and animal.

That much I agree with. Specifically referring to the June Sucker, I don't care about it either, but I do care about the overall habitat as stated above.

I just hope that the money being spent will be spent in worthwhile endeavors.

For example, I know the DWR plans to (and already has) acquire property around 'Mud Lake' (Provo Bay, where Hobble Creek enters Utah Lake), and plans to revitalize the floodplain there so that the stream will be returned to a more natural state, including some form of 'delta' and meandering streambed instead of the canal-like channel that is there now. This they hope will provide a second spawning area for June Suckers where fry can survive better. However, it will also benefit all the other species of fish in the lake, as well as waterfowl.

So, there are some good things that will come out of this program. I do think it might be futile, but let's at least reap what benefit we can from the situation: 'Make lemonade from lemons'.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
U.L. White Bass Problem - by utfishguy31 - 01-02-2007, 11:10 PM
Re: [TubeDude] U.L. White Bass Problem - by Nica - 01-04-2007, 05:29 AM
Re: [wormandbobber] U.L. White Bass Problem - by cat_man - 01-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Re: [hashbaz] U.L. White Bass Problem - by UTBASS - 01-06-2007, 01:24 PM