Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fishing reports 2-23-03
lol[sly] , everybody calls it wyndotte ! it's actually ecorse , the burger joint is carter's hamburgers . on a cold day of fishing , a paper sack of there fries , a hot chocalate and a couple of those onion burgers , man your styleing !

over the years the parking lot has sunk into the river piece by peice , that water used to be 20 feet deep when i was a kid , best spot for perch around ! back in rum runnig days , the feds used to come in and raid the boats belonging to the "purple gang" . ecorse was a bootlegers pipeline from canada , the water was so deep the feds just unloaded the bottles and barrels into the river . theres a lot of bathtub gin down in that muck !! now it's so shallow you can actually reach down and scoop the slime up , but who would want to ? there used to be an underground tunnel to a speak easy across the street , it's now a cony island . i learned these detailes from a couple of the old , original "river rats " that have fished that spot there whole lives . they taught me fishing , history and ethics . neither one of my two old buddys ever graduated grammer school as they called it , they worked at the mill as kids . they were excelent educators , they had the gift . the heavens are blessed with there presence now , me , i have there memories .

white fish are plentyfull in april as you say , and man do the people come out for them . sometimes it's elbow to elbow , but even then someone will let you squese in . april nights there are filled with fog and the city goes quiet , it remindes me of a costal harbor dock . peacefull !

the walleye aren't as plentyful as the days of old , but they can still be had if you study your fish . drop your line strait down with an erie derie on it and just start walking or use a three foot leader tipped with a crawler six inches up from your sinker ,and cast it out ! if you have a boat , handlineing iis your ticket !

at the southern end of the boardwalk during the mayfly hatch is a great spot for catching ( your not going to belive this ) COHO ! but your only going to be lucky if your using a fly rod ! watching thoes lower hooked jaws scoop up the carcases of the fly hatch is a thrill !

i do miss the perch run thou , man i can remember catching double headers all the time . the good ol'days . thanks dave , for bringing back some great memories !
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
fishing reports 2-23-03 - by lonehunter - 02-23-2003, 06:08 PM
Re: [davetclown] fishing reports 2-23-03 - by lonehunter - 02-25-2003, 01:56 AM