Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ's, Top or Bottom?
[cool]Amberjacks are plentiful up and down the eastern seaboard, however, the tactics change like the weather from one state to the next. I was curious what the hot tactic for AJ's are down there in the sunshine state.

Here, it really varies. Some Captains like to verticle jig for them over structure, while other prefer a live bait near or on the bottom. It seems like they prefer 70 to 100' of water here, and prefer wrecks as apposed to rocks or ledges. Does this trend hold true down in Florida?

I never was a big fan of jigging, but I'm going to do a little more of it this season. I added Gamakatsu jig stingers to all my jigs.

I like medium heavy tackle, something around 50 pound class, and maybe 80 lb class depending on water conditions.(I.E. Depth, current, structure, bait, etc....) I use a very similar rig that I would use for Grouper, a large lead on a slip rig with about a 6 to 8 foot leader. I like a circle hook, and the size depends on the bait of course. I prefer live cigar minnows, but anything alive seems to work just fine.

I've actually caught Aj's in very shallow water trolling, drifters I suppose. I'm talking water as shallow as 15 feet deep just off the coast. It's always fun getting an Aj on King gear. They give 20 lb stand up gear hell, especially if it's a good sized one.

We also get alot of Crevalle Jacks here, but that fish has proven to be illusive to me. I know they are a schooling fish, accept perhaps the larger bulls. I know thier game quality is awesome, as they are pound for pound as stout as any fish in the ocean. Any tactics on those guys that anyone would like to share?
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
AJ's, Top or Bottom? - by Tarpon4me - 02-27-2007, 04:06 PM
Re: [Tarpon4me] AJ's, Top or Bottom? - by CaptJoeVerdino - 02-27-2007, 05:29 PM
Re: [Tarpon4me] AJ's, Top or Bottom? - by CaptJoeVerdino - 02-28-2007, 12:27 AM
Re: [Tarpon4me] AJ's, Top or Bottom? - by CaptJoeVerdino - 02-28-2007, 11:56 PM