Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ's, Top or Bottom?
This is my favorite target species so I'll go first.

Greater Amberjack [black]Seriola dumerili[/black] Florida Record 142 lbs. 0 oz. All Tackle World Record 155 lbs. 12 oz.

[black]Range:[/black] In my area the average fish are from 20-70 pounds and are almost always found near large structure like wrecks or ledges/holes. Most fish are targeted in 100-200 ft of water a few can be found in shallower areas. The fish in 100ft tend to move to deeper waters in the summer months, where the 180-200 ft depths seem to hold fish year round.

[black]Bait Tackle: [/black][black]I prefer to use 50lb mono main line tied to a swivel with a 3-4 oz. egg sinker on the mainline side of the swivel. 4-5 ft of 50-80lb flourocarbon or mono leader will do well. The hooks are either 7/0 Khale or circle hooks any brand will work. The #1 bait is usally whatever kind of snapper are living in the same area. Sometimes it's Vermillions (beeliners) other times Yellowtail. When using snapper you must use a legal sized fish and also subtract that fish from your daily bag limit. The next best thing is a bluerunner, or large pinfish. I like to hook the fish under the chin so the hook and weight point the fish down as it swims off.[/black] I usually stop the bait at about 3/4 of the way down so it is past the cudas but not as deep as the goliath grouper. Usually wait about 30 seconds for a strike.

If I want to torture one of my friends I let them use 20lb spinning gear. When matched up to a 50 lb AJ it's about an hour fight.[sly]

Jiging these fish also works well using 6-8 oz. bucktails or large butterfly jigs. I drop them to the bottom and then yank and crank them back up. Never get past 3-5 drops before a strike.

Now for something I am very serious about [black]NEVER SMOKE AN AMBERJACK!!!!!!!![/black]

[black]No matter what the redneck locals say don't do it. It can be fried, broiled, baked, grilled, but never smoke it. Amberjack is firm like tuna, very flaky and has no fishy taste. To prep it properly fillet the fish, then cut out the red blood line, trim away any remaining red meat, and it is better than grouper.[/black]

All this works well for the Jack Crevalle too, except don't eat them.

[Image: DSC00640.jpg]

[Image: DSC00642.jpg]

[Image: DSC00638.jpg]

[Image: DSC00660.jpg]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
AJ's, Top or Bottom? - by Tarpon4me - 02-27-2007, 04:06 PM
Re: [Tarpon4me] AJ's, Top or Bottom? - by CaptJoeVerdino - 02-27-2007, 05:29 PM
Re: [Tarpon4me] AJ's, Top or Bottom? - by CaptJoeVerdino - 02-28-2007, 12:27 AM
Re: [Tarpon4me] AJ's, Top or Bottom? - by CaptJoeVerdino - 02-28-2007, 11:56 PM