Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spey casting
I first off wanna tell every one that Netflix has a great video introducing SPEY CASTING if you can get by the gals voice (fingernails down a chalkboard)
Anyway, I have been interested in spey or two handed fish for quite some time. I have mention a switch rod which is basically a spey.
Tonight I had the pleasure of meeting Dec Hogan author of "Passion For Steelhead" and a master of Spey. He is also helping the new rod company by Raejeff (Cool rods by the way) come out with a SPEY line. He had several proto Echo's there, so I got to play around with a 13'+ 4wt and a 13+' 7wt. Got the Roll down and the Basic "D" cast and had a blast.
These things require very little energy to cast once you get both hands in the right place and the fly in the ANCHOR ZONE.
I was picking 70+' of line off the water and recasting with unbelievable accuracy.
Now the ECHO 2 comes with two tips. One for accuracy and one for distance (or big flie/wind) for around $300.
I asked Dec if the spey would have two tips. He said no at this time, but he liked the idea. Not for two different actions, but rather a spare for the Steelheaders.

Based on how easy these are to cast, and how pin point accuracy can be achieved, I am sitting on pins and needles waiting for them to be introduced to the public.
A 13+' 6wt would be awesome.

TubeN2, when you said you can cast a Country Mile with a Spey rod...well, tonight, I became a believer.[cool]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Spey casting - by flygoddess - 08-02-2007, 04:05 AM
Re: [flygoddess] Spey casting - by tubeN2 - 08-02-2007, 05:06 AM
Re: [flygoddess] Spey casting - by idahopanfish - 08-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Re: [flygoddess] Spey casting - by Saberfish - 08-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Re: [Saberfish] Spey casting - by flygoddess - 08-02-2007, 04:52 PM
Re: [flygoddess] Spey casting - by macfly55 - 08-02-2007, 05:53 PM
Re: [macfly55] Spey casting - by flygoddess - 08-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Re: [flygoddess] Spey casting - by macfly55 - 08-02-2007, 07:00 PM