Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fustration has set in(long with questions)
Me and my wife are outdoorsy types locked in San Francisco. I have had the pleasure of halibut fishing and some trout fishing in a city lake here but I wanted to be out by the woods to fish when I wanted any time of day.

At last we have found home on the Russian River 10 miles from the coast in the North Bay. It's beautiful, peaceful and all year round fishing. But I have been a lake fisherman my whole life and this river fishing has left me for out to dry.

Now mind you, I fish for pleasure and just being out there on the river is god sent to me; watching otters, mink, ospreys and a harbor seal going after steelhead is all I truly need to keep trying. At three-years-old, my Grandfather and I fished from a picnic table into the lawn never needing to catch anything and I still have that heart. BUT I would love to catch something... Anything - heh.

I had caught bait fish, baby salmon and a few bullhead and the like with bait such as nightcrawlers and liver but had yet hooked into anything substantial. But since April 1st baitfishing is outlawed until October. And though I loved to cast, this has left me with no luck what-so-ever. I have seen 2-3 foot salmon jumping, spent steelheads coming to shore but nothing has touched my lures. And I've tried everything from spoons, to jigs, to spinnerbaits, to plastic worms, plugs divers and floats... nothing.

Now for a couple of questions: With the steelhead run over, the salmon run almost over and the shad from may to june but then over, Why is there no baitfishing? I mean there is supposed to be smallmouth, occasional largemouth, cats and bulls in the summer... Bass. Fine. lures. but how do ya catch a cat with a lure besides snagging them- heh?

Second what kind of fishing techniques should I be looking at? Here's my situation. I don't have a boat yet so I'm kinda stuck at this hole that seems pretty good to my untrained eyes. The shore goes out to a point that ends, to almost casting distance, to reportedly the deepest hole in the river. The water here turns back on itself. The shore is gravely. There is a large sunken log I can almost reach casting? I know I need to explore more but this hole sounds text book to me.

If ya got this far congrats -- hows this for an introduction? Thanks for any help!
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Fustration has set in(long with questions) - by Tavvi - 04-13-2003, 04:11 AM