Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
night fishing state park fees
fuzzy asked me if i'd come up with a form letter to send to the state parks board for everyone to copy. if anyone has any critique or suggestions please let me know. here's what i've got so far. sorry about the length.

[center][font "Times New Roman"]State Park Fees[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]As a frequent user of various Utah state parks I have been charged a fee that I feel is unfair and should either be changed or clarified. The fee is referred to by Mike Nealley, the Park Manager at Starvation state park, as a “boat camping” fee. Mike informed me that the fee at Starvation is $13 unless I have an annual park pass and then the fee would be $11. After reading over the rules posted on the state parks website the “boat camping” fee seems to come from section R651-611-4. Special Fees. B. Boat Mooring and Dry Storage. 1. Mooring Fees. c. Overnight Boat Camping-$15.00 (until 2:00 pm).[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]There are a few species of fish where fishing for them may be better at night. Starvation reservoir is one of the bodies of water in Utah with a species of fish (Walleye) that many people fish for during the night. I have been informed by Mike that when I fish at night I am required to pay the $13 fee instead of the $7 day use fee. According to Mike what I am doing, whether fishing or not, is considered boat camping because the park closes at 10:00 pm. What I am doing is fishing and not mooring my boat. That I know of there are no mooring docks at Starvation.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]I have noticed in section R651-611-3 Camping Fees, the camping fees appear to be set at different rates depending on facilities made available. Naturally the fee increases with the number of facilities available. This seems perfectly reasonable to me as more facilities require more money to maintain. However, the “boat camping” fee being charged at Starvation does not give a person any access to any facilities that aren’t available to “day use” users. The only thing different is that people who spend the night on their boats, whether fishing or camping, at Starvation are asked to park in a designated parking area which is further from the lake than the day use area. This designated area is also used for overflow parking on the rare (if ever) occasions when the day use parking lot fills. So for the $13 fee for “boat camping” instead of the $7 fee for “day use” the only thing you get at Starvation is a further walk to the lake. It can’t possibly cost the state park $6 more to maintain a parking spot at night than in the day.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]So why does a normally $7 parking spot cost $13? If I arrive at the state park at 9:00 am, launch my boat and go fishing until 9:00 pm the fee is $7. However, if I arrive at the state park at 9:00 pm, launch my boat and go fishing until 9:00 am the fee is $13. I believe that the “boat camping” fee should be merged with the “day use” fee. Perhaps instead of the $7 day use fee expiring at 10:00 pm it should be considered a 24 hour fee? I’m hoping that this issue can be resolved so those of us who choose to fish at night can enjoy the state parks without feeling like we’ve been ripped off. I greatly appreciate your help in this matter.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Sincerely,[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][/font]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
night fishing state park fees - by moonburnt - 08-13-2008, 11:32 PM
Re: [moonburnt] night fishing state park fees - by moonburnt - 08-18-2008, 11:40 PM