Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
night fishing state park fees
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]This topic got my interest even though I’ve never been affected by it. So, I wrote my own letter to the Utah State Parks and Recreation and emailed it to them a week ago today. Here is a copy of what I sent them:[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4] [/size][/#800000][/font]

[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000]
Quote:
[i][size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000]I’m really not sure who this should go to, so I’m starting with the Boating Coordinator for the State Parks. I’m also sending a copy to the Public Affairs Coordinator and hopefully somebody in the Administrative Office. I think this issue effects more than just one State Park.[/#000000][/font][/size]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4] [/size][/#000000][/font]
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000]According to Mike Nealley, Park Manager, Starvation State Park; if a person launches a boat at the Starvation State Park launch ramp on Starvation Reservoir, parks the launch vehicle at the State Park, fishes all night long and leaves the next morning in daylight hours, this is considered boat camping and the boat camping fee will be assessed to, and paid by, that person. While some argue this is a very unfair assessment as no actual camping has taken place, I’ll concede that it’s justified.[/#000000][/font][/size]
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000]Let’s change the scenario a little and see if the fee still applies. Let’s say the person fishing all night long has another person launch him and his water craft (boat, pontoon, or float tube) and drives the launch vehicle back home removing it from the State Park grounds. This other person then returns in the morning at the start of a brand new day and picks up the all night fisher person and they both leave the park. The driver used his Special Fun Tag to enter the park on both occasions. Is the boat camping fee assessed to the fisher person this time? If yes, what is the basis for assessing this fee?[/#000000][/font][/size]
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000]Let’s change the scenario just one more time. This time, the fisher person is going to launch his water craft from private property bordering the reservoir. The State Park grounds were not used in any way, shape, or form. The fisher person fishes all night long until daylight the next day. Will he be assessed a boat camping fee this time? If yes, again, what is the basis for the assessment? And better still, how would the assessment be levied? I’m quite certain the Park Rangers are not in the habit of patrolling the reservoir associated with the State Park after dark and all night long.[/#000000][/font][/size]
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000]I understand that there is a lot of variance in the make up of each State Park with regard to the mixture of State Park, public, and other agency owned/controlled lands associated with reservoirs. But each of the above scenarios is at least possible at some of the State Park/reservoir areas.[/#000000][/font][/size]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]I appreciate any further guidance you can offer on this issue.[/size][/#000000][/font]
[/#000000][/font][/size][/i][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4] [/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]I got an email response back from the Utah State Parks and Recreation agency today. Here is what the response said:[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4] [/size][/#800000][/font]

[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000]
Quote:
[i][size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000]I received a copy of your email and would like to discuss this issue with you in more detail. You have brought up some very good points and we here at the Division of Utah State Parks and Recreation are considering what we might do for night fisherman as a group. If you would not mind taking about 10 - 20 minutes of your time to call me and give me some input on this, I would greatly appreciate it. Please see my contact information and call me at your earliest convenience.[/#000000][/font][/size]
[/#000000][/font][/size][/i][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4] [/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]I will be calling the individual early next week as requested and will report back with the results of my conversation with the individual. I’ll also acknowledge who that person is with their permission. From the tone of the response, I’d say it looks promising.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."

Messages In This Thread
night fishing state park fees - by moonburnt - 08-13-2008, 11:32 PM
Re: [moonburnt] night fishing state park fees - by dubob - 08-23-2008, 12:42 AM