Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake Fish Forum -- Panel Discussion
RE:"If I understand the math, once the tipping point in the population is reached, recruitment will not be sufficient to maintain the population and it fades"

That is the most optimistic of the possible outcomes. I get the impression that the biologists are a bit more conservative in their assessment of how it will be and that most of the biologists feel that some measure of supplemental netting of carp will be required down the road. What they are hoping for is that with good enough habitat, the June suckers and others can compete better with carp and release the stranglehold carp have on the whole ecosystem.

RE:"I believe that is what happens at Starvation with the Chub, recruitment is so low that the population there is 15-20 years old and there is no replacement of the adults as they die off."

Man, I wish that was the case! Remember the food web analysis though, presented last month. The little chubs at Starvation are being EATEN by walleyes, browns, perch and smallies. Carp however contribute almost nothing to the food chain and are not eaten (except the tiny fry) by any of the predators to any significant extent. That is part of why they are so bad for the ecosystem and sportfishing there. They destroy habitat AND contribute nothing to the food chain(s).
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [Therapist] Utah Lake Fish Forum -- Panel Discussion - by doggonefishin - 10-23-2008, 05:57 PM