Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake Fish Forum -- Panel Discussion
Thanks for the info, friends. I just heard of this issue from a friend and he said that the report was to get rid of the CATFISH! This startled me and I questioned this, and was pleased to learn that the concern is the carp. Last year I went to that aquarium in the Sandy area and read that they believed if they could get rid of 75% of the carp, the lake would change dramatically.

The question I have is how the netting is supposed to work. My concern is, will the process remove all the channel catfish as well? Were that the case, I would have little reason to go fish there. (My kids grow weary of the hit and miss situation with the w. bass.)

The observation I've made is that the lake has a SIGNIFICANT PR problem, and a general public that is "slow to never" inclined to change its views. When people learn that I fish there, 100% have considered anything from that lake to be "radio active" - and would never recreate in it for any reason.

My wife caught the potential vision I see when we took the kids out there recently and pulled them around in a tube behind and old fishing boat we just bought. She’s loves water skiing, and just salivated at the fact that Utah Lake was as flat that day as anything she’s seen at Bear Lake. [Smile]

The problem with angler access is not just LACK of access, but some of what is there is UGLY! Let’s consider the drive to Lindon – it feels like I’m driving thru an industrial wasteland, only to see that huge pipe graffiti pipe that looms over the landscape at the marina…. Many Utahan’s are not aware of the term “visual pollution” the way others of us are. It makes a difference.
And as to the politicians, it is wise to expect extreme ignorance from them on matters. (My experience with something as simple as the legalization of ferrets, that some politicians just don’t know any better. True story, the gal in charge of the legislation many years ago, got her information from ONE newspaper article stating that ferrets were dangerous, and that “they mistake children’s testicles for small voles.” And yet, how many have been killed in the USA – EVER – by a ferret? Now, how many have been killed by dogs? Now, is there a reason those involved with the views of Utah Lake to be any different?) Unfortunately, politicians tend to listen to who shouts their emotional sentiment the loudest – not whom has the most enlightened facts and ideas…

I’m all for the investment to turn the lake into something besides a carp and mosquito breeding ground… But it will take some out of the box thinking and getting the public involved is only smart. (Have any of you seen the PR done for the “reclamation” of land by the copper pit??) I’d like to see some “Save the lake – kill a carp” campaign and get people working on being of the solution. Have contests with prizes to those that can catch the most/biggest carp. If I knew how to reliably catch carp, my kids would be there often – they just want to reel in something big! [Smile] Heck, I’m ‘bout ready to throw away my pole and use a bow and arrow to hunt them!

Our favorite sport at Utah Lake is the channel cat. If anyone would please inform of the impact on that, - thank you in advance for the updates. And thank you to those that are willing to be involved.

Rog
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [kentofnsl] Utah Lake Fish Forum -- Panel Discussion - by Roghet - 10-27-2008, 06:19 PM