Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Cape Willing Magdalena Bay Chilling
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]REPORT FROM GARY GRAHAM'S BAJA ON THE FLY:
PROVIDING QUALITY SALTWATER FLY-FISHING 365 DAYS A YEAR IN BAJA

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: [/size][/font][url "mailto:bajafly@usa.net"][font "Times New Roman"][#800080][size 3]bajafly@usa.net[/size][/#800080][/font][/url][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]; USA toll-free (800) 919-2252;
Mexico 011-52-624-14-10373

Sat., May 17, 2003Report covers the period Wed.-Fri. (5/14-5/16)

EAST CAPE, MAGDALENA BAY AND ZIHUATANEJO CONDITIONS

EAST CAPE, BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO

IN GENERAL: Since I have been at Magdalena Bay for the past few days, I will defer to our Guide, Lance Peterson’s report: The beach looks good. Water clarity and great sun made for outstanding sight fishing conditions. However, I was only able to spot a pair of Jacks who gave my fly the cold shoulder. On the other hand... light tackle opportunities were excellent. I found an absolutely epic ladyfish bite that never seemed to end. I caught them at will on olive East Cape Baits and my chivo sardina. I finally had to pry myself away from the action after playing the "just a couple more casts" game for almost two hours. Good sized fish too. Jumping, running, and peeling off backing like little steelhead gone psycho! A soon as one spit the fly, another would take over the fight. At one point I had 3 "spit and takes" on one cast. Tons o' fun!

AIR & SEA -

Water temperature 72-77
Air temperature 71°-86°
Humidity about 32%
Wind ENE at 6 mph
Conditions Clear
Visibility 15 miles
Sunrise 6:36 a.m. MST
Sunset 8:01p.m. MST
May 15 Full May 22 Last Quarter May 30 New June 7 First Quarter

· OFFSHORE: Action continues in all departments with a good billfish bite, plenty of tuna to play with and enough dorado to keep things interesting.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]· INSHORE: Still the rooster and jack show and so far 2003 is getting rave reviews.

· BEACH: Plenty of ladyfish to fill in the slow spells as everyone continues to look for sight casting opportunities. Even the Cabo guys are showing up on East Cape Beaches these days.

BILLFISH – Sailfish and stripes the Blues can’t be far behind

YELLOWFIN TUNA – Footballs a plenty and that is fine with us.[/size][/font]
DORADO – Good catches abound and even a few shots from the beach.

ROOSTERFISH - Records to be set, personal best to had. What are you waiting
for?

JACK CREVALLE – They seemed to get a serious case of lock jaw this week.

BARRILETE OR MEXICAN SKIPJACK - OK, if that is what you are looking for.

PARGO AND CABRILLA – Mostly a distraction with all of the other action

SIERRA – Same deal as the pargo and cabrilla.

MAGDALENA BAY, BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO

Sat., May 17, 2003Report covers the period Wed.-Fri. (5/14-5/16)

IN GENERAL: Fishing this week was generally slow with a smattering of spotted bay bass, a few small grouper, pompano and a pargo or two. We did have several suspected snook takes and one hook up with the fish appearing to be in the ten pound range. Thursday brought some wind for most of the day by Friday it had backed off considerably and conditions seemed to be improving. Still would like to see the air temperatures come up a few degrees. The best flies were in the Clouser category ranging including chartreuse, olive, gray and white.

Water Temperature 60-66
Air Temperature 66°-75°
Humidity 77%
Wind NW at 15 mph
Conditions Clear
Visibility 3 miles
Sunrise 6:44 a.m. MDST
Sunset 8:08 p.m. MDST
May 15 Full May 22 Last Quarter May 30 New June 7 First Quarter

YELLOWTAIL – None at the Entrada and I doubt that anyone made the trip to the Thetis with all the wind.

CORVINA – Saw a few but did not catch any.

SNOOK – Only saw a couple for tw0 days of fishing.

HALIBUT – We even caught a few up in the Esteros

SIERRA - Quiet for now.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
East Cape Willing Magdalena Bay Chilling - by bajafly - 05-18-2003, 03:48 PM