Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Line for Ice Fishing
[cool][#0000ff]I have been a big fan and proponent of the Excalibur ever since I discovered it while living in Arizona several years ago. I was looking for a low vis, low memory, abrasion resistant mono for catching flathead cats and other line shredding toothy fish. It worked both for fresh water and salt water applications.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After using it almost exclusively...between trials of many other lines...I can honestly make the claim that[/#0000ff][#0000ff] I have never had a fish break off on it...even when the fish rubbed the line against rough ice or underwater obstructions. And, the knot strength is the best I have found, of all lines. Same claim: If I tie the knot right, fish do not break it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Excalibur is equal or smaller in diameter to other lines of the same rated strength. It is very clear and I never suffer from lack of strikes. To the contrary, I usually outfish those around me using other lines. No problem with fish shying away from a visible line...even in super clear water beneath the ice. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I use 4# or 6# for most fishing...including ice fishing. I spool with 8# for catfish, with a slightly heavier leader. While fishing from my tube, I have a tough time breaking the 6# when I get a snag and I really have to work to break 8#. Anything heavier and I have to cut it if snagged because I can't get enough pull from a float tube to break it without breaking a rod.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]The abrasion resistance has always been one of the biggest positives for me. Starting with the flathead cats...I had been losing a lot of them to having them take the lure inside their mouths and rub through the line with their abrasive teeth. Never lost another one after switching to Excalibur. I have also landed lots of walleyes and some northerns on it, without using any special leaders...even with the lures or hooks inside the toothy edge of their mouths.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Okay, I have had some "bite offs" on the strike too. But even wire can be cut by the teeth of tigers and pike if they get it just right. However, with the Excalibur, if the line survives the first few seconds it will usually bring the fish in.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]I do not own stock in this line company (wish I did), and I do not care what anybody else uses. All I can say is that I have tried everything from fluoro to braids and for the type of (light tackle) fishing I do mostly, it is the best line I have ever had on my reels. I still occasionally try other lines, but after the first fish breaks off...or the first knot fails...the spool of that line usually ends up in my "top shot" box...to be used only as a base for top shotting my spools with Excalibur.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]The big downside to my favorite line is that it is hard to find. The only place you can find it on display is at Cabelas. Sportsmans does not carry it. I buy mine online through Cabelas, Bass Pro or Barlows. But, the only place that has 4# is Cabelas. The lightest you can find elsewhere is 6#. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Line for Ice Fishing - by clarkgriswald911 - 11-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Re: [Fish-or-die] Line for Ice Fishing - by TubeDude - 11-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Re: [MrLipripper] Line for Ice Fishing - by humpy - 11-11-2008, 10:19 PM
Re: [humpy] Line for Ice Fishing - by waljustia - 11-12-2008, 12:48 AM