Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why? Why? Why?
Springbuck wrote:
Quote:
I am a TERRIBLE fisherman

So, who can tell me why glowing jigs and the like catch fish?

Why do fish hit one lure, but not another that looks super similar?

What the heck is a ratfinkie? Why is it better than any other jig the same size?

What tricks can anyone tell me for finding fish through the ice without an electronic unit. ....

Sorry but I dont buy into your statement that your a terrible fisherman. If you can cast or reel a line you can fish, if you can fish you can catch. I believe its a matter of gaining know how and time spent to learn the habits of the species your willing to target

As far as why glow works. I doubt anyone truly knows the complete why to that question but my best guess is its simply more visible at a distance or in stained or dark water.
For instance,, one of my best tricks to catch Walleye under the ice at UL is to use two rods. One sporting a vibration bait, the other loaded with a glow something. 8 out of 10 times the Walleye will bypass the vibration bait and take the glow whether its being jigged or setting dead stick. Vibration gets their attention, sight/glow gets the strike. I fish for eye after dark.

Again its my opinion much of why a fish will hit one lure while avoiding another is due to the visual effect and/or it vibration. This seems especially true when finesse fishing.

Personally I dont think Ratfinkies are all that special. I own them, have caught fish on them, but I own a lot of different gear, large and small, and havent found a finkie to do any better than small (1") tube.

The best advice I can give you as far as fishing without a FF on the ice is to be willing to work the entire water column, but I start at the bottom and work up. And try and fish points which extend into the water. Often is the only change in structure compared to the surounding bottom of a lake. Another thing, Pay attention to were most of the fish are being caught.
Dont be afraid to ask a few questions now and then while on the ice

But when it get right down to brass, the best advice anyone can give you is, go fishing more. I believe time spent doing creates know how.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Why? Why? Why? - by Springbuck - 02-10-2009, 04:09 AM
Re: [Coldfooter] Why? Why? Why? - by jigs - 02-10-2009, 05:38 AM
Re: [Springbuck] Why? Why? Why? - by bassrods - 02-10-2009, 05:03 AM
Re: [Springbuck] Why? Why? Why? - by Coldfooter - 02-10-2009, 06:37 AM
Re: [Springbuck] Why? Why? Why? - by HaggardW - 02-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Re: [Springbuck] Why? Why? Why? - by fishnate - 02-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Re: [Springbuck] Why? Why? Why? - by Roghet - 02-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Re: [Springbuck] Why? Why? Why? - by fishguru73 - 02-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Re: [fishguru73] Why? Why? Why? - by Springbuck - 02-11-2009, 04:54 AM
Re: [Springbuck] Why? Why? Why? - by bassbugn - 02-12-2009, 07:01 AM