Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why? Why? Why?
Well, I wasn't worried about not gettting lots of good replies from people who know more than I do, and I was right.

Now, I'm not a total loss. I have been fishing since I was a kid, and I catch a few most of the time, but if they aren't biting much for anybody on the lake, except one guy and he keeps pulling them out, well, I am never that guy. Also, I have never caught one single fish at Utah Lake, Strawberry, the Gorge, and barely at Willard bay. (Pineview, Mantua, Holmes Creek, Uinta Lakes, and Jordanelle have been pretty good to me last few years.) I know zero about how water temps, storm fronts, depths, water clarity and the like affect fish, and I can never MAKE em bite, unless they start the minute I show up, like a lot of guys I see.

I plan to get out more and learn more, but I have 4 little girls, one of them is handicapped, I'm a sole breadwinner and make less than I was planning on (schooling cut short by life), and a wife that would rather be dragged to death behind a horse than go fishing (or anything outdoors), (don't ask, long story, never saw it coming). She is actually darn nice about letting me go, and doesn't mind, but you all know the kind of situation that creates.

PLUS, I already have enough hobbies, one of them already being fishing. I bowhunt and make my own bows out of wood and bamboo, do some inventing and woodworking, but have studiously avoided golf, skiing and electronics.

I have a couple rods, a couple reels and a couple boxes of gear. My panfish kit is good on the basics, and I have a bunch of cheap junk, plastic worms, spinners, spoons, odds and ends (stocking stuffers from people who don't fish, usually) and a few Rapala's, cranks, etc.. My favorite lure besides a small tube jig is a little spinnerbait that looks like a tiny bluegill.

Bummer to find out that Wyoming doesn't let you have a glowstick on. I wonder why they don't allow that, but will allow glowing jigs? I found these beads at the dollar store on glow necklaces for kids. They are about 1.5" long and work just like a little glow stick, so I was hoping I could put em a foot or so above a nice smelly piece of chub on a jig, but I guess not.

I read a lot, and that might be the best way for me. I learn this stuff best by thinking my way through what is happening.

Now for the good part. I just got on a 7 days on / 7 days off, 12 hour/day shift. That means I get every other week off, COMPLETELY. So I do get to learn a little about fishing.

Thanks, guys!
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Why? Why? Why? - by Springbuck - 02-10-2009, 04:09 AM
Re: [Coldfooter] Why? Why? Why? - by jigs - 02-10-2009, 05:38 AM
Re: [Springbuck] Why? Why? Why? - by bassrods - 02-10-2009, 05:03 AM
Re: [Springbuck] Why? Why? Why? - by Coldfooter - 02-10-2009, 06:37 AM
Re: [Springbuck] Why? Why? Why? - by HaggardW - 02-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Re: [Springbuck] Why? Why? Why? - by fishnate - 02-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Re: [Springbuck] Why? Why? Why? - by Roghet - 02-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Re: [Springbuck] Why? Why? Why? - by fishguru73 - 02-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Re: [fishguru73] Why? Why? Why? - by Springbuck - 02-11-2009, 04:54 AM