Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
roll casting on stream????
ok so I need help with two things

1) how does one roll cast on a river/stream?
I am trying to fish form the bank not in the water, i can get a half decent roll cast when the line is down stream but then, as one would guess, the fly ends but back where it started. how/can I use a roll cast to get the fly back up stream a little to let it drift back on down stream? The river I fish I can't back cast and I dont yet have boots/waiters (have not needed them as a spin fisherman)

2) why when I cast does a nice loop of line roll on out until it tries to pull the fly up and out. Hard and fast, slow and smooth all the same... the line rolls out nicely and then hits the drag from the fly (mostly water logged at this point) and the fly just flips up on over landing with in 2 foot of the end of the fly line (w/ about a 9foot leader) is that normal? I dont know any one that fly fishes so i am sort of learning on my own

It is most likely that i still have much to learn but am I trying to do things that cant be done with flies ie roll cast back up stream some or am i expecting the flies to do something they will not ie extend out most of the leader length on a roll cast. I admit that i have solid a spinncasting mind set and i know the two are not the same at all but I wonder if my misconception / misunderstandings are getting in my way.
Any help is great

peace
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
roll casting on stream???? - by jim202000 - 06-12-2009, 01:46 AM