Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Fish Jack Pots, Where does the cash go?

Hey there theangler,

Watcha tryin' to do burn up the California board with a hot topic like this?!! ha ha ha

Having been a pinhead, deckhand, and now a weekly regular on the local 3/4 day boats as well as a charter master, I have had lots of experiences and I can tell you everyone has a position on this one. Here's mine. I believe that the crew gets the cash from the jackpot and I get a pass signed by the skipper that I can take up to the landing office and get a spot on the rail/boat in the future. It gets a little sticky at times because sometimes the jackpot is not big and money is lost by the boat in a way). On the other hand, sometimes there is a big fat juicy jackpot and if you only get one pass you somehow feel shorted. Ya just can't win! ha ha

Whatever the case, As I go out so often, I don't like being suspected of being a don't-pay-jack-deadhead so I make sure I pay cash money in the office for my ticket/rail spot (or an earned pass) and food and beverage(he he slurp slurp). Interestingly, some captians hate the idea of giving you a pass instead of cash and some actually refuse to do so. I think that's a sign that there may be some politics involved between the boat/captian and the landing.

I always pay my galley tab and wouldn't want to mix that money with the fish cleaning or the jackpot I get. I tip the galley but as I don't usually keep fish, I don't normally pay a fish cleaning fee. By the way, I think the fish cleaning fee is getting a little out of hand. Deckie friends don't get in an uproar please! I think the reason for the raise in cleaning fee is that passengers don't give the crew tips like they used to do. These guys gotta make ends meet somehow!

On the crews side, they only have so many days to make the rent. No matter how much you say 'Well, they chose the job' they still have to make so much period! It's feast or famine and the feasts ain't that long.

The problem of jackpots is based on if you are one of the following:
1) A tourist who comes once a year and fishes.
For this person, I guess it's take the cash. I believe that 20% of the jackpot is reasonable. 50-50 is outrageous! I have know some deckies try to pull that and I know of some being fired too! No kidding.

2) A guy who fishes 3 or 4 times a year.
This person may not come out again for the rest of the year or the season may be near it's end and the boat may go somewhere else for the next fishing season! Oh ya, I got tickets for boats I'll never drive 100 miles to get too! I think that as long as the pass was not dated, the individual really ought to take the pass but this one is a hard call. ha ha

3) I hope no one out there thinks they so good that the 3 or 5 bucks you pay for a claim to a chance for the jackpot is in investment. Once you pays yer moneys you takes yer chances. Make sure you know the rules and ask some regulars what the usual break on the jackpot is if you have to ask.

If I'm on a new boat, I make it a point to indicate that if I win the jackpot, it'll be the crews. I'm always suprised (ya right) at how the deck perks up a bit. That's not kissing anybodies anything it's just good policy if indeed that's what you're going to do.

I've seen lots of stupid stuff (fights, clogging heads, breaking stuff) go on because of people not being informed enough about the jackpot. I think the jackpot is just a part of the fishing experience and adds to the comradire of most GOOD SPORTS.

JapanRon
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [theangler] Big Fish Jack Pots, Where does the cash go? - by JapanRon - 07-25-2003, 04:18 AM