Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Does Strawberry Need?
this is quite a interesting post. so i guess ill add my opinion too haha.

i believe that the bear lake cutts are effective enough predators to control the chub populations. as some people have said before they are not large enough in strawberry in the numbers of big fish needed to control populations of bait fish of the natural size of chubs. being 10 inches or so you need fairly large predators to feast on them. a 22 in cutt is not going to eat a horendous amount of 10 in chubs. hence the idea of allowing the trout to grow bigger will fix the problem. i believe this to be true as well. as for browns being in strawberry, they are already in there and i cant possibly see it changing the food forage situation. also as i think about it the chubs being in high numbers is in reality a good thing. plenty of fish to feed on. if you allow strawberry to sit and grow large fish with the large numbers of forage in there this is the ingredients needed to bring back the 10 + lbers in good numbers for that lake. i say let the dang lake be restrict the number of large fish taken out and give it some time. it will do just fine on its own if the fisherman dont yank them all out.

another point about browns is that as effective predators they are they are not good forage control fish. highly territorial and feast or famine fish. it would have to be a primary brown trout fishery to change anything in that lake. that will never happen. and dumping some or alot of browns wont change the chubs situation any. realistaclly the browns would cover heavy structured areas and eat any or all fish in that area. the cutts on the other hand love open water and where the majority of the forage food will end up. thus they are the best bet in my opinion to handle the situation at hand on the lake. there we go. situation solved right? haha
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
What Does Strawberry Need? - by UTBASS - 07-28-2003, 08:49 PM
Re: [hedgesd] What Does Strawberry Need? - by Xman - 07-31-2003, 05:14 AM
Re: [Xman] What Does Strawberry Need? - by Kayote - 07-31-2003, 05:49 PM
Re: [PBH] What Does Strawberry Need? - by cat_man - 07-29-2003, 11:01 PM