Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard...Weather or not
[cool][#0000ff]Actually, it's harder to find an area WITHOUT catfish than a spot you can catch them. But, over time, I have had more consistent success in a few defined "zones". I am attaching one of my "other" maps that show in red Xs the best areas on the south end of the lake. The ones in front of the feed lot/hog farm show where I probably catch over 50 % of the kitties I take from Willard every year. You just have to use the sonar and some prospecting to find what depth they prefer for that day and then harvest. It can be a good area for wipers too. And if you fish next to the rocks there are usually some nice bluegills available.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]The comment about the "too many over 24" on the walleyes brings some bittersweet memories. Back in the early 80's...before wipers and smallies...the walleyes grew big and fat...fast...on a diet of the abundant crappies. The limit on walleye then was 6, with two over 20 inches in the mix. The downside was that it was rare to catch walleyes UNDER 20 inches from Willard. Average was much larger and I usually brought home a limit of 2 about 24 or 25 inches...releasing as many as a couple of dozen on some trips that went upwards of 10 pounds.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Don't stock your tackle box with bitty bites for wallies. Good to have some for times when they are finicky. But, during the post spawn period they are usually very active and aggressive and will slam the big stuff most of the time. Lots of walleyes caught this time of year by wiper trollers hauling big cranks at mach 5 at mid depth. No absolutes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Walleye ARE some of the most toothsome fish around...both in terms of their teeth and how they taste on the plate. Very nice firm white flaky flesh. Good almost any way you want to cook them. Once you catch one...and think you've got them figured out...you will waste much time and expense in further pursuit.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I make most of my own lures...jigs, spinners, cranks, etc. I play with wire a lot and make some dandy mini spinnerbaits that are deadly for many species. I catch quite a few walleyes on them. Also on several different colors of roadrunner jigs...with the little spinner blades. (see pics).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The minnow hanging from the jaws of that kitty was a chub minnow. I do catch and process my own. I am attaching a PDF writeup on the subject. By the way, Utah allows the use of nonprotected whole baitfish like chubs or redside shiners as long as they are dead. No restrictions on being from the same water. But in many waters the predators feed heavily on carp minnows and chubs are closely related enough that they give off a similar scent. I like chubs better than redsides because they seem to remain more firm after freezing. Even if you salt redsides they often turn to mush after being frozen.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are chub minnows in many Utah Waters. The Bear River Refuge has them. Ditto for Farmington Bay. There are also harvestable numbers in Settlement Canyon near Tooele and in the ponds at Deer Valley. Lots of chubs in Scofield. Too many. Plenty of other places but most serious "minnow men" have some small honey holes that they prefer to not broadcast.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have a couple of the wire minnow baskets and I do catch minnows with them. But my bread and butter minnow harvesting is done with a high quality 1/4" mesh cast net. Most guys use a cheaper 3/8" mesh net and they lose a lot of the prime size minnows because they swim out of the holes. The nice 3" ones I like best stay nicely in my net.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Some guys fish with the prepared blood baits, shrimp, chicken livers and other "traditional" catfish baits. I have better luck/success when I use either minnows or fresh carp, white bass or perch meat...where legal.[/#0000ff]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Willard...Weather or not - by TubeDude - 06-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Re: [CoyoteSpinner] Willard...Weather or not - by TubeDude - 06-11-2010, 08:54 PM