Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13-pound cutt at Strawberry
The Mantua trouts I met yesterday took care of the whole "catch-n-release" debate for me! I hooked into a number of brawling fatties, and each one managed to jump and shake loose. I think I may have been getting too excited and horsing them in, instead of "enjoying the ride" and tiring them out first.

So my son's in the boat, ready with the net and the next one I just try to ride 'em out, and keep the tension on. Must not have had enough tension - "and he's gone". Now my boy thinks I shouldn't enjoy the ride so much, and just get em to the net.
Fun to watch all the followers - definitely had a lot more looks that takes. They really do "attack" at a lure!

Opened a discussion on taking bass off their beds. Didn't get as hot as this thread!

I can put a lot of hours into fishing and have very little to show for it. Personally - if a fish is worth eating (not too small, not TOO big and way old and mushy, or toxic!) I'll take a meal, that's why there are limits. Most a lot more generous than my fishing skills support! Plus I figure if I can catch a few meals (1) it's good for my health, and tastebuds (2) I've paid for a license - which entitles me to keep my "bag limit". I buy a 2nd pole too, so I can offer the fish more options they can reject.
But I feel a commitment to eating what I keep, and getting to it while it's fresh. Honoring the catch. My boy wants to keep EVERYTHING - so I've tried a few small ones as cut-bait. Trying to convince him that sometimes we SHOULD and NEED TO release our catch.

Didn't realize they mounted the actual skin (nice link). I thought they were all painted plastic replicas. Most of our catch/keeps have lost so much color by the time they make it home - especially the trout. Guess that's where paint and a photo would help. But yeah - I bought my boat for about as much as a mount might cost. I'll save the difference on replacing lost lures.

At least I've started bringing the camera, so I can perform CPR.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
13-pound cutt at Strawberry - by redlight88 - 05-17-2010, 09:15 PM
Re: [flygoddess] 13-pound cutt at Strawberry - by CoyoteSpinner - 06-22-2010, 09:59 PM