Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wader & tube
Hi Dryrod and everyone,

I'm a new comer to float tubing just like you and I recently just completed my purchases for float tubing. It's quite an experience.

This is a great forum for float tubing and I've been lurking for a couple of weeks now... reading all the valuable information here from everyone, and especially from TubeDude.

I've finally bite the bullet and registered myself in BFT because I felt now I actually have some experiences to offer.

I went through extensive research regarding all the necessary equipment for float tubing. I am a proud owner of a Super Fat Cat! It's an awesome float tube with tons of storage space.

I scoured the net for information on waders. After reading so many comments I realized most waders would leak after some usage. But I also took notice of one thing...everyone attested to Simms' durability and functionality. There was even an article by a magazine (American Flyfishermen I think)that compared and rated waders from many manufacturers and Simms came out on top, followed by the Patagonia SST+. By comparision, Gortex is still the most breathable, durable and waterproof compared to all other breathable laminates or coatings. My friend has been fly fishing and float tubing in his Simms Classical Guide waders for 10 years now--never leaked. That is exceptional consider many waders leaked after a couple of seasons. I was initially balked by Simms high prices but I realized they are worth it in the long run. I don't need a pair of cheaper waders that leaks in the middle of a fishing trip in freezing Sierra water. If you don't want to pay the top dollars for a G3, take TuberDude's suggestion for the Classical Guide. They are much cheaper at $330 but are very well constructed and durable. It just doesn't have some of G3's features such as gravel guard, belt loop, elaborate chest pocket, next generation 5-layer Gortex laminate fabric all the way up to the seat. The Classical Guide was Simms' premium top of the line waders before the G3 came out and will more than suffice for float tubing. If you spring for Simms you will not regret it. The Simms Gortex Lightweight waders are much lighter in construction compared to the Classical Guide or G3. I think it's more suitable if you fish 10-15 times a year. I may be wrong, but I think the Lightweight and Freestone model only carries a 2-year warranty whereas G3 and Classical Guide are warranted for life.

You will not be able to find any discount for Simms waders, believe me, I've tried. I called a lot of people and they flat out turned me down. Simms would yank their supply to any dealers that discount their waders. So your best bet is to buy online or mail order out of state for tax free purchase. If shipping is free then it's icing on the cake.

One last thing about chest waders for float tubing, get lengths that are much longer than your pants inseam. You need a lot of extra length for float tubing or you'll generate a lot of pull on the seams which can cause premature failure. I wear 30" inseam pants and the 34" inseam on my G3 waders is barely enough. You need to be generous and give extra room for thick socks or thermal that you may be wearing. Even in warm weather you will need at least a thin pair of long synthethic underwear for wicking sweat and to let the breathable Gortex work properly.

As for fins, I got Force Fins because many have said it's the best. But there are people out there with a different opinion and favor the scuba fins. I do like the softer flex of Force Fins which allow for easier kicking and put less stress on shins and calves. It won't propel as strongly as scuba fins but I think the analogy here is aerobics to weight lifting--aerobics is less strength and power but you can go on much longer. I haven't tried many fins so I can't tell you for sure. But I can offer you this if you elect to go with Force Fins, choose the original foot pocket model over the new adjustable model that is specifically designed for float tubing. The adjustable model has open instep that is covered by a piece of foam and is buckled shut. It's one size fits all. Both have the same flex and power but the adjustable is beefier on the bottom and therefore heavier to compensate for rigidity lost for having an open instep design. It's advantage is that it's one size fits all and is suitable for wearing over wading boots. On the other hand, the adjustable is sized very large and will be loose on medium to small feet if shoes are not worn. I have 8.5 foot and the adjustable was still loose while wearing 5mm neoprene stocking foot and another pair of neoprene socks on top of the wader sock. Oh, I also worn thick hiking socks. I kicked with the original and the adjustable side by side with one on each foot. The original felt better with it's lighter weight and felt more streamlined without the extra buckle strap on the instep which is really clumsy. With the original you do need to get the right sizing. Try on with your waders and socks.

Well good luck and have lots of fun getting your gear, I know it was for me. Get your basic gear so you can be out on the water. But the shopping spree doesn't stop there... you will be thinking about rod holders, pfd, anchors, fish finders, etc., etc. Come back to this great forum and its memebers and you will find a wealth of information on just about everything!
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
wader & tube - by Dryrod - 08-09-2003, 08:13 PM
Re: [Dryrod] wader & tube - by TubeDude - 08-09-2003, 08:59 PM
Re: [TubeDude] wader & tube - by Dryrod - 08-09-2003, 09:30 PM
Re: [Dryrod] wader & tube - by TubeDude - 08-09-2003, 11:23 PM
Re: [Dryrod] wader & tube - by Ahimanic - 08-13-2003, 08:47 PM
Re: [Ahimanic] wader & tube - by halibut - 08-13-2003, 09:16 PM
Re: [Ahimanic] wader & tube - by Dryrod - 08-13-2003, 09:16 PM
Re: [Ahimanic] wader & tube - by TubeDude - 08-13-2003, 11:11 PM
Re: [TubeDude] wader & tube - by Ahimanic - 08-14-2003, 01:07 AM
Re: [Ahimanic] wader & tube - by TubeDude - 08-14-2003, 01:23 AM