Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wader & tube
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I may be able to compete in terms of volume of words with TubeDude but no way in experience and knowledge. I am just excited to share all the valuable knowledge and benefits I've acquired reading this forum and others sources in my quest to become familiar with float tubing. It was quite time consuming to find and do the right things so I would be happy if others can avoid spending unnecessary time and money in finding their way.

Halibut, my feet are not that big so the adjustables were loose on me. I had to cinch the top buckles almost all the way and they still wobbled. I do think the adjustables are a little more comfortable on the insteps since they have the built-in comfort paddings. I like my feet to be as light as possible so I wore an additional pair of neoprene socks on top of my wader foot for better fit and to protect my wader foot. It also protects the waders when I walk from my car to the launching area. My friend suggested this and he is still on his first pair of neoprene socks after 10 years.

Dryrod, I've already purchased the yellow Super Fat Cat. Since I'm a newbie I am inherently nervous and wanted to be very visible to boater or rescuers [blush] I would've gone for the red one but I think that color is discontinued for Super Fat Cat. I'm not a good swimmer so I also got an inflatable Sospender life vest.

TubeDude, I live in Southern California and I fish both fresh and salt. I usually visit Mammoth lakes for trouts a few times each summer and I'll hop on party boats to fish for tuna (Ahimanic [Wink]) so my tackles range from superlight to heavy 2-speed standup gear. I wanted to get into float tubing to increase my fishing time. It's much easier to jump in my car with a float tube and go fish a lake or harbor at a moment's notice rather than booking reservations with a party boat. Try booking an albacore trip in Southern Cal right now! I also want float tubing to help me become proficient in fishing artificial baits and become a better fisherman. I've fished primarily live bait or Powerbait thus far. Casting lures from shores just aren't that productive.

So far I've made two trips out to fish the harbor by Balboa Island in Newport Bay using swim baits to target spotted bay bass. The first trip I was skunked because my setup was too heavy and I spent a lot of time fighting and turning my float tube instead of fishing. I felt much more at ease on my second trip with a float tube last weekend, got a light bass setup fishing 8# and got my first float tube fish!

I will be taking the tube to Mammoth next month and try my luck in the lakes and I'll try to keep my future posting short!

Messages In This Thread
wader & tube - by Dryrod - 08-09-2003, 08:13 PM
Re: [Dryrod] wader & tube - by TubeDude - 08-09-2003, 08:59 PM
Re: [TubeDude] wader & tube - by Dryrod - 08-09-2003, 09:30 PM
Re: [Dryrod] wader & tube - by TubeDude - 08-09-2003, 11:23 PM
Re: [Dryrod] wader & tube - by Ahimanic - 08-13-2003, 08:47 PM
Re: [Ahimanic] wader & tube - by halibut - 08-13-2003, 09:16 PM
Re: [Ahimanic] wader & tube - by Dryrod - 08-13-2003, 09:16 PM
Re: [Ahimanic] wader & tube - by TubeDude - 08-13-2003, 11:11 PM
Re: [TubeDude] wader & tube - by Ahimanic - 08-14-2003, 01:07 AM
Re: [Ahimanic] wader & tube - by TubeDude - 08-14-2003, 01:23 AM
Re: [TubeDude] wader & tube - by Ahimanic - 08-14-2003, 06:04 AM