Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with Hunt 60-2 (2035) BULL ELK late hunt
ill chime in also. dont get to down on your self if the snow doesnt fly hard and pushes the out of the mountains beleive it or not there are plenty of elk that live in the desert year round. before i started archery hunting unit 63 is the only place i would ever rifle hunt for elk and i never ever ate tag soup on that hunt you just have to put in the time if you are gonna hunt desert. two tips i can give you get good at reading tracks you know like are they fresh or not? and get a descent pair of binoculars and plan on glassing a lot. watch ridge line and gullies very carefully look for them bedded its pretty hard to see antlers in a ton of sagebrush but if you get your eye trained right they will start standing out like soar thumbs. the hardest part after finding them is closing the distance for a shot this can be a real pain in the desert they can see you coming a long ways away. so stay low and try to use what little hill sides and gullies there are to your advantage. dont have to worry about the wind to much if you are comfortable taking 200 to 300 yard shots either. hope that helps a little

oh and i have killed elk in the desert as early as the second day of september all the way till december.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [tob04002] Help with Hunt 60-2 (2035) BULL ELK late hunt - by chrome_junky - 09-15-2010, 04:11 AM