Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My UL tube project...
[quote pontoonman]Thanks for the interesting post. I too, am always looking for ever lighter float tubes. There may be some materials like kevlar for skins which would allow for something super lightweight, but then, this may be hard material to work with for all I know.

A simpler approach that has been used successfully if you will be using fins is to modify an alpaca such as this: [url "https://www.alpackaraft.com/store/index.cfm?ProductID=126&do=detail"]https://www.alpackaraft.com/...ID=126&do=detail[/url]
Half of the floor can be removed and an inflatable seat cushion used for comfort and higher floatation. Might work for those that are sewing and design challenged such as me...

Hope this helps.

Pon
[/quote]

For sure packrafts have their place. Thing is Alpacka's lightest raft is 4 lbs 6 oz, more than twice my target "bare" weight. I've considered (and still may try later) making a small raft with the hole to make a mini-UL Watermaster. I like the idea of oars or a paddle for those long runs and windy days. That said, my tube is a strictly backcountry stillwater tool.

Kevlar is very tough, but by itself it isn't airtight so you'd need a bladder. Also, it's not really useful unless you actually either cure it in an epoxy or line it with other fabrics as it "gets fuzzy".

The material I plan to use for the main bladder is about 6.5 oz/yd^2, already coated, no sew, and no bladder needed. There also is a 4 oz/yd^2 material that will probably also work, but a bit more fragile.

At 2 lbs, though, you're pretty much butting up against diminishing returns right? Smile

Hopefully I can make some 8 oz. waders and some 1 lb/pair fins to go with it, so bare bones tube/waders/fins I'd come in at 3.5 lbs? That'd be cool...

_SHig
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
My UL tube project... - by SHigSpeed - 11-20-2010, 02:50 AM
Re: [pontoonman] My UL tube project... - by SHigSpeed - 11-20-2010, 06:15 PM