Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My UL tube project...
Now where were we? Oh yeah...

MORE WATER!!:

[Image: 5220144176_dd34330c6a_z_d.jpg]
[Image: 5219554635_b9451a1d67_z_d.jpg]
[Image: 5219556895_97d6bf74d4_z_d.jpg]

Now we're seeing some strain. Still, it doesn't seem to be creeping in peel, and unstressed it doesn't look much if any different than the last test. At this weight we're up to 4.4 psi.

At this point, instead of loading in more water, I started bouncing the bucket a bit in the stretch of the fabric and... THWACK!!! Game over!

[Image: 5219559053_4e6b32efb6_z_d.jpg]

What you notice, though, is that the glue held. The FABRIC is what failed. Based on this result, it seems like the goofy and not as finished exterior butt weld stressed in peel is NOT limited by the coating adhesion. This is a very good thing! [Image: smile.gif]

Also, I did this test using the 70 Denier fabric - the lighter weight of the two. I'll be using the 70D for the lighter stressed seat and other areas while using a much beefier 200D for the main tube - where the big stresses will be seen at the higher pressures.

What this tells me is that I MAY be able to use the 70D in the main tube to save as much as 7 ounces overall if I go all 70D. For now, I'll play it safe and stronger with the 200D main/70D seat.

I will be conducting this test again with 200D to see if the fabric failure holds true for the heavier material, and to see how much higher I can go with the bucket. One thing I do know was that I was near the top of the bucket with the water so I may have to daisy-chain or start chuckin' lead in there too!

Also, I would like to do an endurance test at elevated loading to see if the coating does creep over time. Maybe then add heat?

I also have a pressure gauge and will be building a mock pontoon tube and doing some stress tests on it via lung-power and pump idiocy to see what'll happen. If I remember I'll shoot video to see if I get a ka-BAM!

This is fun! [Image: smile.gif]

_SHig
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
My UL tube project... - by SHigSpeed - 11-20-2010, 02:50 AM
Re: [SHigSpeed] My UL tube project... - by SHigSpeed - 11-30-2010, 10:38 PM