Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Finder for Ice Fishing
I know it's bad form to keep posting all in a row...but I remembered one other thing about using a fishfinder when stationary, such as for ice fishing...

You mentioned you wanted to see structure...probably isn't going to happen when stationary. In locations where the bottom changes elevation within the "cone" (usually around 10' to 20' circumfrence at the depths we fish at the Berry, the "bottom" will register as whatever the highest elevation point is within that cone. Same thing will happen if there is a cinder block down there...the top of that cinder block will register as the bottom of the lake. You will notice this when you drop your jig down and you are watching it go down according to the fishfinder, and when you reach the bottom...your line goes out another foot or two. This indicates that there are hills or valleys within the cone, or some other structure (bush, rock, etc.) is down there. That is when the FISH CAMERA comes into play! (we use both!)...here is a picture of a fish camera in action last week. The lures look big as they are closer to the lens. So we use the sonar to watch the water column...and the camera once on the bottom! I know...TMI....
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.

Messages In This Thread
Fish Finder for Ice Fishing - by Mr._Rogers - 01-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Re: [Mr._Rogers] Fish Finder for Ice Fishing - by N.E.T.O. - 01-12-2012, 10:16 PM