Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly Line Recommendation
[quote OldTroller]You will be seriously handicapped with anything less that 4 lines.

Floating Line.... because dry fly fishing on a lake while you sit in a boat is the greatest and you can troll/strip a mouse pattern with a floating line too.

Clear Camo... a.k.a. slow sinking or intermediate. This will let you fish water less than five feet deep and still get your cast completely stripped in before you pulling weeds from the bottom. It is also great for drifting/trolling when the fish are looking up to feed when you are over any given depth of water.

Type 3...... is the most useful if you're going to use just one line. It will get deep enough if you wait long enough and will stay shallow enough if you're not making 60' casts.

Type 7.... Because sometimes you want to get deep and you want/need to do it quickly. This line is my go to when fishing emergers. I tie on a chironomid or mayfly pattern and cast out about fifteen feet of line to which is tied about 8 feet of tippet to which is tied said bug. I kick backwards slowly for about a minute (less if the water is under 10 feet deep) and then strip the fly in with short 2 to 4 inch pulls and short rests. That gives the effect of the fly swimming to the surface. Let me tell you when that is on you will get really hard hits from even the biggest fish in the pond.

You've read where each sink rate or "type" of fly line will sink at a given rate and by counting while the line sinks you can determine the depth the fish are holding/feeding. Well you can also troll/kick backward and each different sink rate will run at a different depth. And that is a really fun way to cover water and find fish.

So if you have only one fly line you will either be sinking below where the fish are (that is when the fish are not exactly in line with what line you do have) or not sinking down to the fish unless you count long enough.

For example if you are fishing a type 3 line and want to fish 20 feet deep you will have to count to somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 seconds. Where as if you're fishing a type 7 you're only going to have to count to about 35.

Here's my formula: Second per foot that your line sinks times depth = seconds to depth that you want to be. So a type 3 sinks at round 4'' per second (all lines vary in their sink rate) and that is 4 seconds per foot or 80 seconds to get 20 feet deep.

So you see here that if you want to target fish that are 20' deep and you have a type 3 line you will be counting down almost twice as long as you would if you had a type 7. That doesn't add up to awful fast for just one or two fish but if the fish are that deep all day you will catch many, many more fish by getting you fly in place in half the time by using a type 7 over a type 3.[/quote]

A lot of good info here. Thanks for posting it!
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Fly Line Recommendation - by redsoxflyfishr - 01-19-2012, 05:06 PM
Re: [OldTroller] Fly Line Recommendation - by joshomaru - 01-22-2012, 05:54 PM