Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly Line Recommendation
Just one nore on the depth charge, as I pointed out, a 300 grain for 6 wt 250 for a 5 wt. It is 30' of the fast sinking line and a different color so easy to tell you have 30' plus leader out. The next 70' is intermediate. I does strip different then a uniform sinking line and I find it perfect for Leech patterns and Crawfish, both bottom dwellers. Trolling pulling these works fantastic, but I don't get that result with a VII.
As for using a VII for deep nymphing you need to also know the depth like using dry line and an indicator, plus you may find marking your line in 10 foot increments because the idea of using this line for deep nymphing is to drop it down short of the bottom and strip back up. So if you are in 30' of water, 30' of line. You don't want to cast 50 or 60 feet out as this line will drag the bottom, but this is just my findings from personal experience.

I agree that multi lines are a must for stillwater, but I think different weights is all. But I also fish shallow Trophy Lakes and these lines work for me in both deep and shallow.
There is a difference in Intermediate and Type II as pointed out in sink rate. Easy way to put it, ALL sinking lines will hit the bottom, some quicker than others.
The reason I didn't push Intermediate is again as mentioned a slow sinking sub surface line...something that can be achieved with a longer leader on a floating line, however I will say this is a line to have at some point. Just starting out and the cost of lines, I think this line can wait, again, just my opinion.

Another thought, the farther one cast equaling more line on the water, the more it will sink. To break this down, If I am fishing say 50' of Type II, and someone next to me is fishing 80' of Intermediate, both stripping or trolling, that intermediate will end up the same depth as the type II. With this thought, the counting down Old Troller mentioned does change dramatically.

Just adding another perspective and reason to my post.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Fly Line Recommendation - by redsoxflyfishr - 01-19-2012, 05:06 PM
Re: [joshomaru] Fly Line Recommendation - by flygoddess - 01-22-2012, 10:00 PM