Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IMPORTANT!!! If you hunt elk in Idaho
I still replay that no-shot in my head all the time ddahl3! Sometimes I wonder what would have happened had I touched off that shot. Oh well, now he's bigger this year [Smile].

I really think that this conversation parallels the same one all the gun hunters have with those guys taking 800-1000 yard shots at critters. If you've got the range time, the outdoor "real life" practice scenarios, and the $$ for the proper equipment, then I dont see an issue. The problem is many people dont have these three things, it's a lot of time and money.

The only additional problem with taking those shots with bow and arrow is that the wind is really hard to account for with a bow at those longer distances. Bullets are smaller and the scopes are able to be adjusted to account for wind. We can all account for wind out to 40 yards or other reasonable distances with a bow, but it's real tough when it gets out there at some distance. Bow hunters also have to account for a more clear line of shot than the gun hunters do. A little twig wont really mess up a shot on a 7mm, but it will send an arrow into outer space.

Personally, I say keep it closer rather than farther, part of the reason we love bowhunting is to be close enough to count their nose hairs before the shot!!
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [ddahl3] IMPORTANT!!! If you hunt elk in Idaho - by SF_Austin - 07-23-2012, 10:32 PM