Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba camping & water level
Awesome, thank you for your reply. I will be heading to Cabelas to get some lures this week.

I notice that pike have pretty large teeth similar to Mackerel. When we would get into mackerel, we would have to use a steel leader to keep them from cutting our line. Would you recommend using a steel leader for Pike? Are Pike picky when it comes to steel leaders? Can they see a steel leader? When I fished in Clear water in the Gulf, some fish could see the steel leader and would not bite. We would get some clear 50 lb test line and make a small leader with it and they could not bite through it and, they would not get spooked by it like they would the steel leader.

Thank you for your reply and your help. I just stumbled across this website and have been on it for hours reading about fishing here in Utah. It is great!! I am hooked!!

Also, I have a medium action rod and reel. I have a 7 ft medium rod and a medium spinning reel with 8 lb test. I also still have one of my trout/red rod and reels which is an Abu Garcia (AmbasSader 6500 open face baitcaster) with 14 lb test line on it and a 6'6" castaway medium rod. I used to catch up to 60-80 lb fish on it but for the most part, 5-20lb fish.

My question is, how aggressive are Pike? I typically like to fish with a little lighter rod and reels but, if Pikes are fairly aggressive, I may need to fish with my old Abu Garcia rod and reel vs my spinning combo.

With the Spinning reel, it is a Quantum (not a cheap one, about $100) and it holds 320 yards of 8 lb test. When I used to saltwater fish, we used to use smaller reels that held a lot of line so the fish could not spool us but it was still small enough to throw lighter baits. Do you think that fishing with a medium action rod and a medium spinning reel with 8 lb test is too light when fishing for Pike? Do Pike fight like an animal similar to a redfish? If you were a saltwater fisherman, you know that a 10 lb redfish could take you for a ride....haha, and fishing with a lighter rod and reel made it tough.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Yuba camping & water level - by fishindaddy - 08-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Re: [HATH] Yuba camping & water level - by ocean - 08-16-2012, 04:29 AM
Re: [ocean] Yuba camping & water level - by jaybird2939 - 08-19-2012, 11:24 PM