Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are ice reels really needed?
It's not the reel, it's the line. The issue that I have experienced (and I ice fish a lot), is that I really like the braided lines, due to the added sensitivity. (I'm a sensitive kind of guy...[Smile]). The PROBLEM with braided lines (Fireline in particular), is that the line gets iced up. Then you have issues regardless of whether you are using spinning reels or levelwind (ice) reels.

My solution?...I fish inside of a heated ice shack. At that point it doesn't matter what kind of reels or lines you are using.

If I know I'm not going to be in a shack (heh...like that would ever happen...ask the ones that fish with me [Wink]), I make sure I have a rig with regular mono line on it to avoid at least those issues.

At Flaming Gorge and Fish Lake however, due to the depths involved, even if I were fishing outside (not in the shack) I would find a way to still use the braided line as you need that sensitivity down that deep.
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.

Messages In This Thread
Are ice reels really needed? - by TyeDyeTwins - 11-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Re: [TyeDyeTwins] Are ice reels really needed? - by N.E.T.O. - 11-13-2012, 09:15 PM