Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are ice reels really needed?
Yes you can use the same reels you use during summer it is a preference thing, I prefer the smaller ultra lights. You would be surprised how big of a fish you can bring in on those weak looking ice rods
. Line diameter can make a difference, depends a great deal on the species and presentation. I would still probably stay under 8lb. Lines do get slightly stiffer in extreme cold.
I dont think using the bottom half of your spinning outfit is going to give you the sensitivity you need for fishing hard water. Many bites through the ice are much lighter than in warmer months. I guess you could get by if you want to hold the line in your hand all the time to detect those ligth bites. I have fished Pelican lake when the only indication of a bite was the slightest move sideways of your line I am talking like a 1/16th of an in or less.
Your camo hunting blind will work as an ice tent, most do prefer the black or dark inside but yours will be fine as long as you have a way to anchor it to the ice on those windy days.
Many conventional fish finders can be rigged for ice then put back on the boat in the summer. You may want to buy a spare transducer so you dont have to do any wiring when you switch.
As far as the ice auger that cuts a core. Again not a good idea. Getting the core out of a hole in deep ice might not be a lot of fun.
These are just my opinions but I have been ice fishing since they first made ice fishing legal in Utah. Others will have different opinions
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Are ice reels really needed? - by TyeDyeTwins - 11-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Re: [RonPaulFan] Are ice reels really needed? - by fish_fear_me2 - 11-14-2012, 12:09 PM