Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake Abyss 2-1-13
[cool][#0000FF]Still testing that one, but it looks like a winner.

I was using the "plain vanilla" model yesterday. But I have another model with "sideSaddle" holders for pliers and a vertical rod holder for rerigging. See the attached pics.

The basic frame is easy to make with low cost...only two 1/2" tees and two 45 degree angles...plus a few short pieces of 1/2" PVC. The key is to adjust the angle and length of the front legs to get the height and spread you want. Makes a very sturdy tripod that works well on snow or ice and is easy to pick up and move or position.

The whole thing revolves around the "quick draw" rod holder head I invented for my float tube fishing. It is made from a 3/4" to 1/2" T...with the cuts shown in one of the pictures. If you cut it right and Dremel it down smooth the rod end goes in and comes out easy, but the more a fish pulls down on it the tighter it holds.

There is also a pic of an added "stabilizer"...made from a 2.5# barbell weight. It just slides down over the vertical shaft and adds enough weight that it makes the holder almost impossible for a fish to pull in if you have the drag set on your reel.

I screw the base components together but leave the others for quick assembly and breakdown. You just bungee the parts together to ride in your sled without taking up too much room.

You can adjust the height of the holder by lengthening or shortening the vertical shaft. On windy days it is better to keep it low. But if you set them up beside your chair on a calm day you can make them just the right height for a "quick draw". It is important that you position the rear of the rod handle right at the edge so that you can quickly lift the rod up and out without it catching on the holder.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Utah Lake Abyss 2-1-13 - by TubeDude - 02-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Re: [bullelk01] Utah Lake Abyss 2-1-13 - by TubeDude - 02-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Re: [TubeDude] Utah Lake Abyss 2-1-13 - by BigEZ - 01-02-2014, 07:45 PM
Re: [BigEZ] Utah Lake Abyss 2-1-13 - by TubeDude - 01-02-2014, 09:49 PM