Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard and Utah Lake
One DWR guy that did care was Tom Pettengill, a biologist who grew up angling walleye in the upper midwest, and brought his passion to Utah. I believe he did great things for Willard Bay, which he considered to be his "home water", and was focused on Utah walleye. I believe he also had something to do with the shad and wiper introductions. But I understand he left Utah several years ago, and since that time it does seem that Utah DWR has had reduced interest in walleye.

I for one sure hope that changes. I grew up here in the state, and of course fished almost exclusively for trout most of my life. But I cut my teeth on walleye at Yuba during the boom cycle down there, fishing for several weeks before finally catching my first eye. I was hooked! Chasing eyes became an obsession with me for several years, and made for some of my finest fishing memories. I now live near Willard Bay and consider it my home water. I absolutely HATE seeing the inlet open for fishing during the walleye spawn! An "unutilized fishing opportunity"? You mean an opportunity to target the mature spawners when they are most vulnerable, and possibly with illegal methods. Is there not ample opportunity enough at Willard Bay without having to open the inlet for a few weeks in the spring? There are many true anglers who have genuine concern for the future of the bay and its fish populations than with that small "opportunity" for a few harvest hungry individuals that don't care. Willard is one of only a couple quality walleye waters left in the state. Please fight to keep it that way!
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Willard and Utah Lake - by Gumbyk - 03-18-2013, 04:09 AM
Re: [Gumbyk] Willard and Utah Lake - by toadly - 03-18-2013, 01:05 PM
Re: [toadly] Willard and Utah Lake - by raghorn4 - 03-18-2013, 01:54 PM
Re: [raghorn4] Willard and Utah Lake - by toadly - 03-18-2013, 02:00 PM
Re: [toadly] Willard and Utah Lake - by raghorn4 - 03-18-2013, 02:05 PM
Re: [TubeDude] Willard and Utah Lake - by hatucat - 03-18-2013, 07:32 PM
Re: [Gumbyk] Willard and Utah Lake - by Fishrmn - 03-18-2013, 07:50 PM
Re: [TubeDude] Willard and Utah Lake - by toadly - 03-18-2013, 02:58 PM
Re: [Gumbyk] Willard and Utah Lake - by hatucat - 03-18-2013, 09:51 PM
Re: [HYDROFISH] Willard and Utah Lake - by like.2.fly - 03-19-2013, 05:46 PM