Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Double Day at Lincoln Beach 4-26-13
[cool][#0000FF]Glad you enjoyed the report.

My "system" for prospecting with bait is designed to find the most productive depth for the day...or at least for a period of time. That can change through the day with changing light, water temps, weather, etc.

The S turns are made slowly...with occasional stops to let following fish catch up to the scent trail and to sample the goodies. Yesterday I slowly dragged at least 3 kinds of bait through depths ranging from 2 feet to 8 feet. Several times in a row I got "inquiries" as I moved through the 4-5 feet zone. That clued me in to the "zone du jour" and I changed my pattern from big S turns to just a small wavy line withing the targeted zone.

I drag the baits without any weight besides the hook and a small barrel swivel about 3 feet up from the hook...with a leader a bit heavier than the main line to help resist abrasion from bottom structure, fish spines and teeth.

I cast out only about 30 to 40 feet behind my tube. That is further than necessary because the fish aren't spooked by my craft or fin kicking. I have caught them on a jig right under my feet in shallow water. But you don't want too much line out because you have to let them pull it tight before the hook set...and the longer the line, the more stretch in mono...and the more difficult to punch the hook into a tough mouth. Sometimes it is even advisable to reel down tight after the first hookset and then give the fish another whack.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Double Day at Lincoln Beach 4-26-13 - by TubeDude - 04-26-2013, 09:46 PM
Re: [SkunkedAgain] Double Day at Lincoln Beach 4-26-13 - by TubeDude - 04-27-2013, 12:15 PM