Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Full Sink, Sink Tip or Depth Charge
I have never been a big fan of Sink Tips. They have all the weight in that tip section so it is like casting a bunch of split shot. They are great for moving water though as you are able to mend the floating portion.
But, for Stillwater, I will only use a full sink. Two choices however. Density Compensated. Sinks uniformly with no belly. Or Wet Cell which will form a belly. Nice for weedy places.
However, I have one Wet Cell in a Type III. The rest of mine are DC.
The ones I use the most are the Intermediate, Type II and Type VII.
Type VII is great. You only need cast out a few feet if you are seeing fish in a special zone. But if you see them on the bottom, cast out length to bottom and add some for travel.
I love deep nymphing and generally do this with floating line, leader and indicator. But if you are moving (by wind or whatever) it is nice to adjust that depth for ever changing bottom. That is where thee Type VII comes in. I use a dot of Knot Sense on my line at the 30', 45' and two at 60' I am in full control this way.

I also like Depth Charge for summer months. However, I recommend going one size up per rod. I use 300 grain on my 6 wt. This can also be like a Type VII in that you have the 30' of the 300 grain followed by 70' of Intermediate.

I have all the different sizes in 4, 5, and 6 wt, but I only use three.....go figure.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Full Sink, Sink Tip or Depth Charge - by sinergy - 05-31-2013, 03:18 PM
Re: [sinergy] Full Sink, Sink Tip or Depth Charge - by flygoddess - 05-31-2013, 06:01 PM