Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Furled Leaders v. Regular Leaders
Are you a good caster? Not being rude, but newbies have a little trouble with them because they are so supple. You can cast just the leader, can't do it with a mono or Fluoro.
Now advantages, they are furled (not braided- braided are hollow in the middle and will trap water and spray it). I make them in 5' to 7' lengths. You just add tippet. I put a small ring or now I have a small swivel which it is nice for nymphs and streamers.
There is no memory in them. The come right out of the package ready to go.

You do need to add floatant to them to float, but I did that with regular leaders too. What is nice is float the leader and let the tippet sub surface it.

To nymph or streamer, leave the floatant off and let the leader absorb the water.

I make mine out of thread or a special mono. Thread is very supple and fantastic for tiny dries plus nymphing and streamers. I make the Mono because I fish all winter and the thread would stick to the rocks[Smile] So I did mono. It is a little stiffer so better for wind and bigger flies.
I also make one that is both with mono at the tippet end for heavier or bigger flies.

I am on vacation right now till Sunday, but when I get back, I need to "Hook" you up[Wink]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Furled Leaders v. Regular Leaders - by TroutMan93 - 06-18-2013, 11:12 PM
Re: [TroutMan93] Furled Leaders v. Regular Leaders - by flygoddess - 06-19-2013, 03:18 AM