Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle Perch Search 7-15-13
[#0000ff]Met up with LloydE at the PWC ramp at Jordanelle about 5:30. I got launched a few minutes before him and already had my first dink perch before the sun came up. First of many.

Air temp at launch was 60 and water temp 71. Too warm for trout but just right for perch and smallies. But not many of the later showing on sonar or on the ends of our lines in the launch area.

Headed over to the old quarry area to a couple of spots that have produced in the past. Found the fishies in 10-12 feet of water off the exposed underwater forest along the west side. Got quite a few smallies from 5" to about 12". Most on the lower end of that scale. Lots of perch. Some only about 5-6 inches but plenty of 8, 9 and 10 inchers.

Went through a lot of worms tipping my jigs. I used several different colors and they all seemed okay with the perch...as long as there was some sweetener on the hook.

I tossed back most of the perch but kept a few of the larger one for a meal and a few smaller ones for bait. Running short of minnows this year and strips of perch are candy to several species...where legal.

Lloyd also got molested by dink perch and small smallies. But he did catch a number of underfooter smallies that gave him a good time. He didn't keep anything. Not worth the sink time for a few small perch.

I was trying out my new Humminbird 561 sonar today and it worked great. Showed me some fish on the bottom in 32 feet as I was working my way back to the ramp over deeper water. I stopped and dropped...a jig. Wham...bendo...big time. After a few yards of line off the drag and a couple of tube turnarounds a two footer sized brown trout shook his head and let me have the jig back. Heck, I woulda let him go anyway but woulda liked to have him Smile for the camera first. Bashful brownie.

Saw several small groups of bank tanglers in different spots. Didn't see any of them bring in any fish. Not the prime time for shoreline hugging troutskis. And the perch seemed to prefer the areas with flooded brush. Smallies too.

The power squadron served us with an eviction notice just after 10. Big boat, music on mega blast, everybody screaming, dump the skier less than 50 feet away from my tube, music blasting louder, more screaming. That was enough for this crotchety old dude. We hit the ramp and were down the road by 11. It was gettin' kinda wierd around there. Probably won't be back until after Labor Day.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Jordanelle Perch Search 7-15-13 - by TubeDude - 07-16-2013, 07:50 PM