Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dreary Deer Creek 9-10-13
[#0000FF]I generally keep a few of the underfooters but always release the larger fish. My comment about bass guys getting upset about ANYBODY keeping ANY bass was not directed toward you. We both know where that came from.

By the way, once the early inshore action dropped off I continued to pick up the occasional small smallie even out to over 30 feet. The shorter daylight hours, dropping water level and slight dropping of water temps seem to be starting the annual fall migration to deeper water. I doubt the topwater action will hold up much longer.

I really miss the late 70's and early 80's when Deer Creek had big populations of perch, crawdads and largemouths. Easy to have 20 fish days on largies that averaged over 2 pounds...with more than a few up to 4...and bigger. Whenever the lake filled enough to flood the flats by Charleston it was crazy bed fishing. Also great with buzzbaits both over the weed beds in the north and in the back of Walsburg.

The introduction of smallies in the 80's put a hurtin' on all the other stuff. Larger smallies ate up the crawdads and the young ones mopped up the newly hatched perch each year before they could grow large enough for anything else to eat them. Smallies are fun to catch but they sure changed the ecosystem in Deer Creek.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Dreary Deer Creek 9-10-13 - by TubeDude - 09-10-2013, 08:40 PM
Re: [scartinez] Dreary Deer Creek 9-10-13 - by TubeDude - 09-11-2013, 04:28 PM