Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humpy Hallowindy 11-1-13
[#0000FF]Didn't go trick or treating last night. Had to get up early for a Starvation trip. Originally planned to fish it from my float tube but BFTer Humpy talked me into getting into his boat with him. What the heck. Fished it last week from a Lund. Might as well do a Crestliner this week.

Guys were whacking some nice rainbows from the dock and surrounding gravel shorelines at the main launch ramp when we got there. Couldn't believe it. One guy was throwing a 3" white plastic tube...no bait.

Air temp mid thirties and water temp 49 at launch. A light breeze was rippling the water but we expected it to get calm later...as per the forecast. Yeah, right. The forecast.

Set up in the same general area I fished with Shane (in his Lund) last week. Found fish on the sonar and set the auto controls. Controls were not working well. We kept drifting off and having to try to find the fish again. Finally got on one spot with good numbers of fish and brought in several walleyes and perch. Then the wind picked up and it was almost impossible to find fish and hold a spot. I'm sure that Humpy got tired of hearing about how well I could hold...hands free...if I was fishing from my tube.

Tried dragging jigs across the area while drifting and motoring slowly...with and against the wind. I got one more walleye and a 20 inch silly rainbow that thought it was a perch...on the bottom in 42 feet of water.

Wind kept picking up and turning the water to popcorn. We had about 20 - 30 minutes of actual fishing in over an hour of trying to find fish and stay put. If we were not on fish we did not get bit. We even put out an anchor on a long scope rope but the wind was too much. No hold...no fish.

Figured we would drag around some lures and play with the silly steelheads. We both caught a couple of newbie planters and I finally caught another bigger one...19 inches. Every time we thought the wind might be laying down it would blow up again even harder.

Not a good day for Humpy. He had just cleaned out his boat...including his State Park pass and his Mussel Certificate. We paid the park fees to get in but he got in a hurry and did not fill out a mussel sheet. When I went to get the truck for loading the boat there was a friendly reminder from the rangers. Thankfully, it was just a reminder...and not a ticket.

Bottom line, I caught more fish and had less wind while fishing in a Lund. Crestliner should do something about that. Yeah, right. Was good to finally get out fishing with Jon even though the fishing was not all we hoped it might be.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Humpy Hallowindy 11-1-13 - by TubeDude - 11-01-2013, 09:22 PM