Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Balloon Indicators Made Easy
Hi guys,

Using water balloons for a fly fishing indicator is nothing new. They are more sensitive than thingamabobbers, and easier to maintain than yarn or foam indicators. Traditionally the problems I have found with them is that they a) kink your line with the slipknot most people use to connect them b) are not easily moved to adjust the depth you are fishing at. Because of these two issues I stopped fishing with them shortly after I started, even though I loved how much more sensitive they are.

Recently I came across the New Zealand Indicator method where a section of plastic tubing is slipped on the leader, and then yarn is placed in the loop and cinched down.

The moment I saw the idea, I thought, "that's it!" the solution to my balloon indicator problems. I tracked down some 2mm plastic tubing right away (cut the tubing off of a butterfly needle setup from work). I dug out my stash of water balloons, cut up some 4mm sections of the tubing, and hit the water. I was surprised how well it works! I have been fishing with the setup for a few months now. I tracked down some 2mm plastic pvc tubing used for bracelets on ETSY and got about 6' for $6. It should last me forever!

I rig it up the same way you see the New Zealand approach, but instead of the yarn, I use a water balloon I blew up and tied. After cinching the balloon in I nip off the bottom part with my nippers. Also, I have noticed that wetting the bottom of the balloon with your mouth or the river allows it to slide into the plastic tubing more easily to begin with, but is not necessary because it will pull down anyway after a couple wet casts.

The only drawbacks with the balloons are a) they produce refuse that you have to clean up b) they are lighter weight so they are harder to cast in wind, but you can fish with a smaller size -compared to a thingamabobber- for the same reason c) they can cause your line to twist if you cinch the balloon on at a weird angle -for that just re-position the balloon and recinch-.

I still carry along my thingamabobbers, but so far the balloons have become my go to. Any thoughts or suggestions?
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Balloon Indicators Made Easy - by ChrisTheFish - 02-20-2014, 02:45 AM