Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pic's of your pontoon setup?
[quote flygoddess]I had a gentleman make a comment about the waters we have to choose and fish from here in the mid west. He is from Pennsylvania, but they use more hand me down canoes/kayak and fish smaller ponds.[/quote]
I was using a kayak until last season. I sold it in a fit of dumb 'brilliance' and have now gotten onto The Toon-n-Tube Plan. We live, we learn.

[quote flygoddess]I am not going to be much on assisting you on mods for you tube other than maybe out of oar way sonar. Yours is basically a Tube with long front. There is little storage in the back. Like the NFO Escape, when I bought it I had visions of a small pontoon when in fact, it is a Tube. A tube on steroids and oars, but still a tube.[/quote]
that is how I've been referring to the 'Chehalis' - a tube on steroids. And I'm good with that. My fishing grounds are backwater coves and long, extended creek arms off a rather large reservoir (56,000 acres).
The larger size and plush nature of the Chehalis will be welcome, I'm sure. I've been hankerin' to try a tube for some time, now, truth be told. As is my nature, I jump in feet first when I decide to do something.

[quote flygoddess]Only thing I could see as far as rod holder would be a Scotty glue on just in back of the seat on whatever side you don't cast on and out of the way of your valve.[/quote]
I've seen the glue on Scotty's, and I will consider it an option. Personally, I THINK I prefer a smallish rack type device, a la, TubeDude. Hang it over either side, anchored with D-rings. I realize it could not extend into the arc of the oars, but it would only need to hold a couple of rods, maybe two holders per side.
I envision the type that runs behind the seat and turns 90 degrees to parallel the sides. These are commonly seen on float tubes, as you know, and would fit the bill for my use.
I'm really an essentialist and usually carry only two or three rods. I find I never use more than this to any good effect, so extras just end up being a PITA.
Along with this, I'm one of those 4 hour anglers you may have heard of - after 4 hours I want to get off the water and loll around on shore. Usually, it's less than that. I used to bring a pack hammock when walking river banks, which I hung between trees for stream side naps. I may get another one. To say I'm pretty low-key is a good start. [Wink]

[font "Times New Roman, serif"][size 3]"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."[/size][/font][font "Times New Roman, serif"][size 3] - Henry David Thoreau[/size][/font]

[quote flygoddess]Sonar is great for determining the ground structure and depth. For Fly Fishing a big bonus so you can deep nymph or see what depth fish are hanging to determine what sink rate line.[/quote]
Yes, I can see that. I've used them in the past with hulled boats and value their information.
I also managed to catch fish from my kayak without them, just by understanding the contours of the landscape around me. I'm lucky, I suppose, because my usual fishing grounds are pretty well defined. I don't have vast expanses of featureless water to figure out, like you folks out West. The same coves and backwater creek arms I fished from a kayak are pretty easy to read and I know them well. Plus I have lake contour maps. [cool]
Could I catch more, if I use a sonar? Yes.
Can I get along until I can rig one effectively? I think so.

[quote flygoddess]Tube Dude is the Tube Mod Master here and if you just look past how long the front portion is and take into account the oars and all must clear them. He had an NFO Renegade for awhile. Not sure if he used the oars, but he did come up with some PVC magic.[/quote]
Thank you, very much for your pragmatic outlook. I think I'm very lucky to have landed among this group.
[Image: bobwink.gif]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Pic's of your pontoon setup? - by Boatiac - 11-13-2013, 06:59 PM
Re: [flygoddess] Pic's of your pontoon setup? - by dayhut - 02-23-2014, 10:57 PM