Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Landing big fish through the ice?
I have had the priviledge of pulling some very large fish through the ice the last couple years and found it's best to have two people. Don't try it yourself unless your partner is a complete bufoon. I grabbed a 13 pound brown through an 8 inch hole last winter for a close friend. Very exciting. Use your drag and don't get in a hurry. You can't force a big fishes head into the hole. Let him run and bring him back till you can get the head in the hole. Have your friend take off their gloves and get on their knees right next to the hole. As soon as the fishes nose hits the surface, have your buddy reach in with both hands right behind the opercles (gill covers). Put the death grip on it and yank it out of the hole. Of course, this is not the preferred method for catch and release. This technique works for the big trophy you are going to kill. It's sounds like common sense, but you better have a plan when that big momma comes calling or you may just have another 'the one that got away' story. Just my dos centavos.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Landing big fish through the ice? - by Shrimpboy - 12-17-2003, 04:39 PM
Re: [Shrimpboy] Landing big fish through the ice? - by Sollly - 12-17-2003, 05:17 PM
Re: [Shrimpboy] Landing big fish through the ice? - by Kayote - 12-17-2003, 11:46 PM