Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fudd Friday on UL 4-4-14
"I've been wondering [#ff0000]why[/#ff0000] Carp aren't on the "Catch and Kill" list for UL (and Yuba could use it as well probably). Aren't we paying people to net bunches of them"

[#0000ff]There. Ya done gone and used the word WHY. I have long held the philosophy that anytime you ask a question with the word WHY...and it has anything to do with people making decisions...there is not likely to be a good answer.

I have had to just shake my head in wonder on a lot of occasions when the subject of proactive and aggressive carp removal...from Utah Lake or elsewhere...has come up in conversation. The feds have budgeted big bucks for carp reduction in Utah Lake...but it is all going to one group, doing one thing to remove the carp...seining.

Other states have had species removal plans that have included paying a bounty for members of the general public who would bring their catch to a designated spot for counting and accounting. Notably the pikeminnows (squawfish) in northwest waters...as an aid to survival of salmon and steelhead smolts on their downstream migrations. Some guys made big bucks by doing nothing but fishing all year...and the overall numbers of the targeted species DID show a big drop.

I have suggested a bounty on Utah Lake carp...even a small one...as an incentive for more people to go after them and to bring them to a proper disposal point when they get paid. There are always "reasons" why this can't be done. They would rather just have the fed money paid in one lump sum to one carp-killing entity...the Loy family.

Another potentially deadly tactic would be to selectively poison or aggressively net some of the weedy coves or specific stretches of shoreline around the lake during the big carp spawn in the spring. Kill the buggers while they are massed up in one area as easy targets. Much easier than trying to net a proportionately small number with nets...on a "chuck and chance it" basis throughout the year. This tactic has been successfully used on some large midwestern waters that were experiencing an overabundance of carp. For one thing, if you time it right, you eliminate a lot of spawning as well.

In two separate RAC meetings I have suggested allowing the use of corn as bait on non-trout waters...such as Utah Lake, Yuba, Willard, etc. I just get eye-rolling and laughter. They do not take me seriously. They don't want to "start anything". Other states allow the use of corn even for trout.

I have also suggested having "carp derbies"...where there would be free entries to the public and prizes for total poundage, most fish, biggest fish, etc. That could be set up either as straight "angling" and/or with a separate division for bow shooting. Either way, with a little publicity it should get a lot of participation...and remove a few carp. Look at all of the public attention and participation in removal of those silly flying Asian carp back in the midwest.

Bottom line: If you really want to get rid of carp, go after them full tilt. You gotta go fast...not "half fast". Tweak the regulations to spell out no-holds-barred on carp...and remove any possible restrictions to killing and removal of carp by the public.

Carp removal at this time of year is especially helpful. I have posted this picture before. It shows the amount of eggs to be laid by one "average" sized carp of about 4-5 pounds.

[inline "CARP CAESAREAN.jpg"]
[/#0000ff]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Fudd Friday on UL 4-4-14 - by TubeDude - 04-05-2014, 12:23 PM
Re: [MasterDaad] Fudd Friday on UL 4-4-14 - by TubeDude - 04-06-2014, 03:50 PM