Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mono vs fluoro tippets/leaders
I only fly fish and have my whole life. The advantages to Fluoro is "size" . In the X factor or lb it will be a smaller diameter than mono of equal X or lb. Meaning using smaller lb line can be stronger.
It does sink but I use it exclusively on all flies including drys. Advantage there is the tippet will go sub surface so no shadow or light hitting it, but I can still float #32 dry flies using it. I also can use 6X on that #32.

I do buy fishing line Fluoro over tippet on the 4X or 4lb and heavier. Saves a lot of money although still pricy. I buy P-Line 1-00% fluorocarbon in 4 lb, 6 lb, & 8 lb and I use it most the time specially when guiding. It is $20. but also 250 yards. Last quite a while.

Note, Fluorocarbon does not deteriorate, and does not have a shelf life. Good on one hand but the other is to be sure to pick it up and not leave it as trash

I have used both regular P-Line mono, and then switched to the Fluorocarbon. I did witness I did not spook the fish at all with the fluoro.
But I did catch fish with both, just more with the fluoro.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [americanforkdude] mono vs fluoro tippets/leaders - by flygoddess - 04-17-2014, 07:59 PM