Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mono vs fluoro tippets/leaders
I like fluorocarbon as well. I'm really lazy though so I just use fluorocarbon leader and skip tippet 90% of the time. It works for me as I don't typically change or lose flies very often. A single fluoro leader usually is good for at least a couple hundred fish before I replace it. I can always still use a shorten leader with flouro tippet tied on if I want. I don't really think spending a couple pennies per fish extra this way as a significant part of my fishing expenses overall. Maybe an extra $20-30 a season. Now if you're still learning and losing a lot of flies in the trees or just have to change flies constantly while out the expense may be a lot higher.
As mentioned fluoro doesn't degrade so don't leave any behind if possible. With only using leader the rare break offs when a snag won't come lose is always at the knot so nothing is left in the environment unlike if the tippet to leader knot breaks off.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [americanforkdude] mono vs fluoro tippets/leaders - by riverdog - 04-18-2014, 01:47 AM